Many of the new experimental medicines tested at MD Anderson are offered to patients through the Clinical Center for Targeted Therapy. The center is a leader in treating patients with drugs that are in Phase 1 of the clinical trials process.
The center offers many different types of experimental medications, such as new immunotherapies and chemotherapies. It also offers targeted therapies, which interfere with molecules that support cancer’s growth, progression and spread. In some cases, the center carries out Phase 2 trials of these drugs.
Existing patients are referred to the center when one of our clinical trials offers the best treatment option. To make these decisions, we are in constant collaboration with MD Anderson’s primary care centers. We also accept external physician referrals and patient self-referrals.
Request an appointment
Existing MD Anderson patients should be referred to us through their primary care center.
New patients can refer themselves in one of these ways:
- Complete the self-referral form
- Have your doctor submit a physician referral form
- Call the patent referral hotline at 713-563-1930
When calling, please have the following information ready:
- Patient name, telephone number and insurance information
- Referring physician's name, office address, telephone and fax numbers
- Date of diagnosis
- How the diagnosis was made (physical exam, biopsy, other)
- What treatment, if any, has taken place
- Over what time period the treatment has occurred
- Specific medical and pathology reports may also be requested for review before your first visit
Not all referrals qualify for our clinical trials. Our staff will work with you or your referring physician to determine whether you qualify and to schedule your first appointment.
The Clinical Center for Targeted Therapy is in the Main Building, Floor 11, near Elevator B.