“The biggest thing cancer has done for me is encourage me to go for it.
Each person and each melanoma are different, and at MD Anderson's Ben Love/El Paso Corporation Melanoma and Skin Center, we use our unique multidisciplinary approach to tailor melanoma treatment specifically to your unique situation.
More than 10,000 melanoma patients –– among the most of any program in the world –– are evaluated here each year. Caring for this large and diverse patient population has helped us develop an outstanding team of melanoma specialists with wide-ranging expertise and experience in treating all types of melanoma.
Comprehensive, Specialized Care
Your personal team of experts in melanoma may include melanoma surgical oncologists, melanoma medical oncologists, pathologists, dermatologists and dermatologic surgeons, head and neck surgeons, neurosurgeons, plastic surgeons and other surgeons, radiation oncologists, diagnostic radiologists, and other specialists if needed. They work together closely, collaborating and communicating at every step of your treatment.
Several innovative treatments for melanoma are offered at MD Anderson, and many of them were discovered here. Your personalized treatment may include:
- Lymphatic mapping and sentinel node biopsy
- Minimally invasive limb perfusion
- Targeted therapies that capitalize on our improved understanding of the molecular alterations within melanoma tumor cells
- Adjuvant radiation therapy to help reduce the risk of melanoma coming back after surgery
- Treatments for rare forms of melanoma, such as those that begin in the eye (uveal melanoma) or mucosa (for example, vaginal, rectal or sinonasal)
And we're constantly researching ways to help the body fight the cancer, including:
- Immunotherapy, including the latest agents such as ipilimumab, PD-1 and PDL-1 inhibitors, interleukin-2 and adoptive T-cell therapy
- Targeted therapies such as BRAF, MEK, multikinase and KIT inhibitors
- Combination regimens
Since 2004, the National Cancer Institute has awarded MD Anderson a multimillion-dollar Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant. This means we are able to offer a broad array of clinical trials for melanoma.
Understanding a disease is the first step toward finding the right care. Get the facts about melanoma, including the different types, how it starts and who’s at risk.
Did You Know?
Tanning beds aren't safer than tanning outdoors. They emit the same harmful UV rays as the sun and put users at increased risk of melanoma.
BY MD Anderson
May 07, 2014
When Rachel Brown’s father died suddenly, she was left to run his home design and building company. She was just 26 years old. Between grieving and learning the ropes, Rachel had a lot on her plate.
So when she first noticed a mole on her back, she ignored it -- despite having a family history of melanoma and her use of tanning beds since high school.
“I thought melanoma was only for people in their 80s,” she says. ...