The MD Anderson Teen Volunteer Leadership in Cancer Care Program is designed to provide a rewarding volunteer experience and instill a lifetime spirit of commitment to volunteerism.
Participants will have the opportunity to: provide customer service and support to patients and their families in a hospital setting, gain exposure to a variety of healthcare careers, learn effective communication and improve leadership skills.
We do not offer opportunities for clinical exposure or shadowing a medical professional.
Application Closed for 2023
The Summer 2023 Teen Volunteer Leadership in Cancer Care Program application is closed. Program details for the 2024 program will be posted Dec. 1, 2023.
- Teens must be between the ages of 15 and 17 (by June 1 of the applicable summer) and enrolled in high school. Individuals that are 18 years of age and/or graduated high school may apply to the College Volunteer Program.
- All volunteers are required to submit proof of flu vaccination.
Teens are accepted to one of two sessions:
- Session 1: Monday, June 12 through Friday, June 30
- Session 2: Monday, July 10 through Friday, July 28
The teen program time commitment is Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Each day, there will be a lunch break from noon to 1 p.m. Teens will bring their own lunch and cannot leave campus.
- During lunch, volunteers will learn about career exploration, leadership training, and other opportunities from MD Anderson faculty and staff.
During the program, teens will volunteer in several different areas and positions including customer service and clinic experience.
- December 1, 2022 - Program details are available on the website
- January 14, 2023, at 8 a.m. CST - Application opens for virtual interview sign up
- December 1, 2023 - Program details for summer 2024 are available on the website