MD Anderson providers read patient feedback
Thank you for referring your patient to MD Anderson for prevention, early detection, diagnosis, treatment or survivorship oncology services. When you refer to MD Anderson, your patient will receive a high level of care in a safe, compassionate environment. We provide oncology services at multiple locations across Houston, making it easy and convenient for your patients.
To refer a patient located in the United States, contact our Referring Provider Team and provide the following patient/provider information:
Referring Provider Team
Phone: 1-877-632-6789, option 1
EpicCare Link: MyLink.MDAnderson.org
Hours: Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-11 p.m., Saturday-Sunday: 8 a.m.-7 p.m., CST
Utilize our patient referral form for new patients: MDAnderson.org/PatientReferralForm
Patient referral information:
- Legal name
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- Reason for referral
- Medical or pathology reports pertaining to the referral
- Is the patient aware of the referral to MD Anderson?
- Is the patient currently admitted in the hospital?
Referring health care provider information:
- Health care provider name and NPI
- Point of contact
- Practice name
- Practice address
- Practice telephone and fax number
- Email (if available)
Once our Referring Provider Team receives a referral, the following process occurs:
- Referral is created and the provider is contacted. A Health Information Specialist will initiate a referral, guide you through the process and answer your questions. If you submitted a referral through our portal, e-mail or fax and have not received confirmation of receipt within two business days, call the Referring Provider Team.
- Patient is contacted. The patient is contacted by a Patient Access Representative who will gather additional demographic and medical information.
- Medical records are reviewed. If additional medical reports are needed, we will request those from the patient or provider’s office. Patients are encouraged to take an active role in providing these records.
- Insurance is verified. We will verify insurance and seek financial authorization.
- Patient receives an appointment. The patient will receive an email with appointment details and instructions on how to download our MyChart application.
- Referring provider is contacted. A Health Information Specialist will follow-up with the referring provider regarding the patient’s appointment referral status.
Other Types of Referrals
Patients that are currently in-patient at another hospital cannot be scheduled as an outpatient until they are released from the hospital.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I obtain my patient's medical records, radiology reports and laboratory results from MD Anderson?
- Update your communication preferences through our Referring Provider Team to receive by fax or mail.
- Retrieve reports by logging into Epic or by using the myMDAnderson for Physicians EpicCare Link portal.
- Call our Health Information Management department at 713-792-6710.
- Complete our Release of Information authorization form and send by fax to 855-884-3253 or email to email@example.com.
Contact our Film Library at 713-792-6210.
No, many of our cancer centers will see patients with a suspicion of cancer or benign tumors.
- Texas residents that meet eligibility requirements set by the Federal Poverty Index can request an application for Patient Financial Assistance from MD Anderson.
- For more information on MD Anderson’s financial assistance program, download: Patient Financial Assistance: Information for Patients or visit: Uncompensated Care Program.
- The Referring Provider Team follows up with the referring provider regarding the patient’s appointment status.
- Contact the Referring Provider Team if you have submitted a referral through our portal, e-mail or fax methods and have not received confirmation of receipt within two business days.
- MD Anderson has certified interpreters for the following languages: Arabic, French, Mandarin, Spanish, Vietnamese and American Sign Language. We also provide interpreters for languages not listed, but a 24-hour notice is required.
- Telephone interpreter services are available 24/7 for Spanish and Arabic.
- Telecommunications devices (TDD) are available for deaf and hard-of-hearing patients.
- Language assistance services are requested by the International Center staff for new patients and by the clinical team at the time of need for current and returning patients.
I prefer my patients to contact MD Anderson and setup their own appointment. What patient-specific pathway should I recommend to them that allows me to receive follow-up notes?
- Encourage your patients to list you as their follow-up physician and part of their care team.
- Phone: 877-632-6789, option 1, Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday-Sunday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., CST
- Online: appointment request form
- Providers and patients are encouraged to search through our clinical trial database to view the many types available.
- Participation in a clinical trial requires a patient to schedule an appointment with MD Anderson to discuss treatment opportunities and eligibility criteria.
- The Referring Provider Team can help providers to identify the appropriate research staff to discuss clinical trials and eligibility criteria specific to their patients.