Volunteers are often called the heart of MD Anderson because they play a key role in our mission to make cancer history. When joining MD Anderson’s volunteer workforce, you’ll become part of a diverse group of volunteers who enhance the patient experience.
We do not offer short-term volunteer opportunities, shadowing of medical professionals or internships.
Our volunteers are
- a diverse workforce of trained volunteers who enhance the patient experience by providing comfort, hope, support, and referral to institutional resources at the Texas Medical Center Campus and at the Houston-area locations (League City, West Houston, The Woodlands, Sugar Land)
- compassionate, motivated, and committed
- great communicators with a desire to help patients and caregivers
- Year-round consistent attendance
- 6-month minimum commitment
- 3 to 4-hour flexible volunteer shifts are available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Evening and weekend programs remain closed
Requirements to volunteer
- Complete Virtual Preview Orientation, application and forms
- Complete Virtual Placement Interview and online training
- Criminal background check clearance
- The volunteer uniform: MD Anderson volunteer badge, blue-jacket and face mask (provided)
- Health Vaccinations: COVID-19, Flu, Tuberculosis (TB) skin test, Chicken Pox history
- Must submit documentation of primary series: 2 doses with Pfizer or Moderna (if prior to April 18, 2023), or 1 dose of Pfizer or Moderna (if after April 18, 2023), or 1 dose with Janssen
Adult Volunteer Program
Applicants 18 years and older not enrolled in an educational program are welcome to apply. Volunteers are interviewed and matched to one volunteer position based on their availability, experience, interests, and comfort level working directly with patients and visitors, based on institutional needs. Your position is the same each week.
College Volunteer Program
Applicants 18 years and older enrolled in an educational program or gap year may apply. College volunteers provide customer service and support to patients and visitors while gaining exposure to various healthcare careers.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com or 713-792-JOIN.
Volunteers in action
We invite you to attend our Volunteer Preview Orientation to learn more about our programs and requirements and to determine if this is the right volunteer opportunity for you. The orientation is a 30-minute Zoom meeting and the first step in the volunteer process.
Teen Volunteer Leadership Program
This summer-only program allows high school students to interact with patients, caregivers, staff and volunteers. They also develop leadership skills and get a glimpse into health care careers. Application for Summer 2023 is closed. Information for 2024 will be available in the fall.
Survivor and Caregiver Volunteers
Support others by sharing experiences and providing hope to others as a myCancerConnection phone volunteer.
request an appointment online.