Maintaining patients’ comfort and quality of life is a top priority at MD Anderson. The Pain Management Center plays a major role in this effort. Our team includes specialists from interventional radiology, neurosurgery, psychiatry and other fields who work together to find the best care for each patient.
We treat these patients through our two main services, the Cancer Pain Service and the Postoperative Pain Service. Treatments can include non-pharmacologic methods, medications, nerve blocks, implants and other techniques.
Cancer pain service
The Cancer Pain Service sees outpatients at MD Anderson’s Texas Medical Center location and at our locations in Katy, League City, Sugar Land and The Woodlands. We also provide consultation services for inpatients experiencing pain related to their underlying disease. Care from the Cancer Pain Service starts with a comprehensive assessment. Doctors then create a plan for each patient’s needs and condition. Patients are reassessed frequently, allowing doctors to adjust treatment plans as needed.
Postoperative pain service
The Postoperative Pain Service provides 24/7 care to patients who are recovering from surgery. Our goals are to:
- Create a treatment plan for each patient that utilizes the latest pain management techniques
- Continually monitor patients to maintain comfort levels and reduce side effects and complications
- Teach patients and their families how to best manage post-surgical pain
- Listen to our patients and help meet their needs and desires regarding pain control.
Our pain management treatments include:
- Nerve blocks
- Breathing and relaxation exercises
- Relaxation techniques
Take it one day at a time, and never give up
The Pain Management Center hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
713-792-6070 (Current patients)
877-632-6789 (New patients)