Cancer and its treatments can sometimes have lasting effects on physical and cognitive functions. MD Anderson's Rehabilitation Services offers physical therapy and occupational therapy for patients recovering from surgery or experiencing problems related to the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation treatment. Rehabilitation Services provides services to acute inpatients, acute/chronic outpatients and the inpatient rehabilitation unit. Services are delivered in multiple locations, with 50-60% of all inpatients treated at the bedside.
Our facility includes workout equipment, private treatment rooms and a model apartment that includes a kitchen, laundry room, bedroom and bathroom for training.
Location: Main Building, floor 1, near the Fountain Get Directions
Not sure if you need our services?
Print and fill out our self-assessment form (pdf) to determine if you need physical or occupational therapy.
Physical therapy can assist with:
- Mobility: walking safely in and outside the home and how to safely climb stairs
- Equipment: providing and recommending the proper equipment for walking such as canes or walkers
- Pain syndromes: pain reduction modalities, such as heat/cold applications and electrical stimulation
- Physical abilities: hands-on techniques to improve strength, flexibility, balance, endurance, and coordination
- Home exercise programs: design specialized exercise programs to address the problems affecting the patient’s function
- Family training: instruct family members/caregivers on how to safely assist patients in transfers and during walking or exercise
Occupational therapy can assist with:
- Self-care activities: being able to put on your socks and shoes or getting in and out of the bathtub
- Equipment: wheelchairs, bathroom equipment, and assistive devices like a reacher or sock aid
- Orthotics: off-the-shelf or custom-made splints to promote healing, positioning, rest or pain relief to arms and legs
- Physical abilities: improve dexterity, gross coordination, strength and range of motion in arms and upper body
Take advantage of our online services, including myMDAnderson, the personalized site that helps you manage your cancer treatment:
- Appointment schedules
- Secure messaging with your care team
- Patient education, billing, and more
Patient Care Essentials
Here are some things to consider before making an appointment.
Get prepared for your first visit to MD Anderson.
Learn how to cope with treatment side effects and resolve treatment-related issues.
Find support for patients, family and caregivers.
Cancer survivorship issues before, during and after treatment.