Stem Cell Transplantation & Cellular Therapy
Elizabeth Shpall, M.D.
Department Chair ad interim
MD Anderson has one of the largest stem cell transplantation and cellular therapy programs in the world, performing more than 850 transplants and cell therapy infusions annually in adults and children.
Our extensive expertise in the treatment of advanced blood cancers is aided by applying highly effective stem cell transplant methodologies using fully or partially matched donors and umbilical cord blood. In addition, our department offers a full range of services through our cell processing laboratory, including stem cell collection, manufacturing, infusion, and treatment of the patient. Together, with the use of cutting-edge cell therapy technologies, dedicated clinics, and on-site facilities, we are able to treat cancers effectively and efficiently.
For each of our patients, our team of stem cell transplant and cellular therapy physicians perform a thorough evaluation and investigate the characteristics of a disease, including genetic profiling. This gives us the ability to recommend a personalized and cutting-edge clinical trial or other protocol that provides optimal disease treatment.
Advanced treatment options for patients
- Allogeneic stem cell transplants [related/unrelated; HLA matched, cord blood, haploidentical transplantation; bone marrow and peripheral blood progenitor cells (PBPC)]
- Autologous stem cell transplants (bone marrow, PBPC) for cancer and autoimmune diseases
- Enhanced recovery programs for patients over the age of 65 receiving stem cell transplants and cellular therapies
- Clinical trials
- Cell therapies for viral infections, including SARS-CoV2, BK virus (BKV), cytomegalovirus (CMV), adenovirus, and HIV
- Cell therapies, including CAR-T and CAR-NK cells for hematologic cancers and solid tumors
- Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) for graft versus host disease (GVHD) and regenerative medicine
- MSC exosomes for treating cancer
- Molecular profiling
- Targeted therapy
Where you send your patient first matters
MD Anderson provides comprehensive, foremost stem cell and cellular therapy services with a holistic, multimodal approach that supports our patients before, during, and after their transplant. Our multidisciplinary care allows for quicker recovery and the capability to treat complications. When physicians refer to MD Anderson, their patients will receive the highest level of care in a safe, compassionate environment. Our stem cell transplant coordinators are dedicated to assisting health care providers with the following:
- Coordinate patient referrals
- Review clinical trials
- Answer general questions
The Department of Stem Cell Transplantation & Cellular Therapy performed the 100,000th stem cell transplant of the National Marrow Donor Program's Be The Match.
- A stem cell transplant program with fully or partially matched donors that is recognized by the National Marrow Donor Program as a specialized center for matched unrelated donor and umbilical cord blood transplants
- Haploidentical and cord blood transplant programs, which may shorten time to transplant
- Novel personalized treatments through our Adoptive Cell Therapy Platform that has pioneered the use of virus-specific T, CAR-T, and CAR-NK cells for treating cancer and infection
- A dedicated clinic for monitoring and managing graft versus host disease, a condition that can arise following stem cell transplantation
- Outpatient and early discharge for eligible patients, as well as survivorship care programs
- Clinical staff members who are dedicated to preparing safe and effective stem cells and therapeutic cells through our state-of-the-art Cell Therapy Laboratory, which is located within MD Anderson’s complex and performs more than 2,000 collections a year through our apheresis and stem cell collection unit
- Access to our enhanced recovery program, a patient-focused care pathway for transplanting elderly patients over 65 years of age, which utilizes a dedicated clinic to provide comprehensive care throughout the transplant process and help them return to home, life and self more quickly
Clinic Hours: 8 am to 5 pm
Main Building, Floor 8, Elevator B
1515 Holcombe Blvd
Houston, TX 77030
1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 0423
Houston, TX 77030