Pediatric Critical Care
Sometimes patients experience setbacks during treatment and require extra care and medical attention until they recover. The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at the Children’s Cancer Hospital has been nationally recognized as one of the leaders in intensive care for pediatric patients with cancer.
MD Anderson’s impressive resources offer children with cancer cutting edge treatment not often found in larger, free-standing children’s hospitals. Resources along with the experience of four pediatric intensivists and an advanced nurse practitioner ensure that each pediatric patient has the needed attention and care for his or her condition.
Within the PICU, support services include:
- Trained PICU nurses
- Respiratory therapists and pharmacists
- Child life specialists and psychosocial support
- Ventilation management
- Intravenous access assistance and resuscitation support for hospital
- Fluid and electrolyte disorder management
- Coordination of care for patients with multisystem organ dysfunction
- End of life support for critically ill children and adolescents
The PICU offers private rooms equipped with a guest bed for caregivers to stay the night with the patient. Parents are allowed to visit 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For consultation, appointments and assistance, please contact:
- Rodrigo Mejia, M.D., Medical Director: 713-792-6603
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: 713-792-1104
- Fax: 713-794-5042