By Victor Scott
Polo mallets were swinging from Florida to Texas this spring, raising more than $600,000 for cancer research and patient care programs at MD Anderson. Polo Under the Palms in Florida and Polo on the Prairie in Texas are unique fundraising events with championship polo matches as main attractions.
More than 1,500 supporters had the opportunity to watch world-class polo, dine on an abundance of local cuisine, listen to live music and dance the night away ― all while supporting MD Anderson’s mission to eradicate cancer.
2nd Annual Polo Under the Palms
- When: March 24, 2012
- Where: Sarasota Polo Club, Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
- Chairs: Mary and Jamie Uihlein, Christie and James P. Uihlein
- Committee: Lisa Barnott, Rebecca Gutierrez, Candice McElyea, Maryellen Paterson, Michelle Qualley, Michelle Wynne
- Team sponsors: Toyota of Lakewood, Harris Private Bank/M&I Wealth Management
- Major sponsors: Nancy and Gene Phipps, Mary and Jamie Uihlein, Christie and James P. Uihlein
- Total raised: More than $236,400
26th Annual Polo on the Prairie
- When: April 28, 2012
- Where: Musselman Brothers’ Lazy 3 Ranch, Albany, Texas
- Chairs: Melinda and Henry Musselman
- Chair emeritus: Mary Anne McCloud
- Committee: Michele Arnot, Susan Cook, Pat Everett, Liz Green, Prissy Harvick, Virginia Musselman, Marci Pearson
- Presenting sponsor: Blue Bell Creameries
- Major supporters: Melinda and Henry Musselman, Jimmy Musselman, Beal Family, Dian Graves Owen Foundation, Kay R. McMillan, Amy and Timothy Leach, Kathy and Tripp Wommack
- Total raised: More than $368,500