Head & Neck Center
MD Anderson’s Head and Neck Center is dedicated to comprehensive and customized care for people with benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancer) tumors of the head and neck. As one of the nation’s most-active head and neck cancer treatment centers, we complete more than 50,000 patient visits each year, giving us a remarkable depth of expertise and experience.
We take a team approach to be sure you receive the most-advanced treatment with the least impact on your body. And we have special expertise and highly skilled professionals to help you maintain speech, swallowing and hearing.
Tumors treated in the Head and Neck Center include but are not limited to those of the:
- Oral cavity (mouth, lips, gums, cheeks, tongue, palate and mouth floor)
- Pharynx or throat (including the oropharynx (behind the mouth), nasopharynx (behind the nasal passage) and hypopharynx (behind the voice box))
- Thyroid and parathyroid
- Salivary glands
- Skin of the head and neck, including melanoma
- Nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Skull base
- Ear and temporal bone
- Eye cancer
In addition, the Head and Neck Center treats:
- Acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwannoma)
- Sarcomas of the head and neck
- Head and neck issues in patients with tumors elsewhere in the body
Head and Neck Center specialists also treat retinoblastoma at the Children's Cancer Hospital.
Our Treatment Approach
When you are treated for a head and neck tumor at MD Anderson, you receive the undivided focus of a team of physicians and scientists that may include oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, neuroradiologists and plastic surgeons. They are joined by dentists, nurses, speech pathologists, audiologists, nutritionists, psychologists and social workers with special training in head and neck cancers. Working together, they prepare a customized plan of care just for you. Treatments available may include proton therapy, gamma knife and targeted therapies, as well as innovative, minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Specialized teams dedicated to diseases or groups of patients include:
- Skull Base Tumor Program: offers patients with benign or malignant tumors of the skull base the most-advanced diagnostic and treatment options
- Oral Premalignancy Clinic: provides diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of precancerous lesions of the oral cavity
- Head and Neck Survivor Clinic: helps patients deal with the physical and psychological changes of cancer and treatment
Team Approach to Care
Head and neck cancers and their treatment often affect swallowing, speech, hearing and quality of life. We are one of the nation’s leaders in helping patients meet these challenges. Our services include a state-of-the-art swallowing function laboratory, as well as specialized experts to help you regain the ability to speak after treatment for cancer of the voice box and throat.
Specialists in dental oncology and dental prosthetics (known as prosthodontics) provide complete oral and dental examination for patients who need dental care before treatment. They also design and place highly specialized implants, helping to ensure the highest quality of life after surgery.
And at MD Anderson you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the nation’s foremost comprehensive cancer centers, which has all the services needed to treat the whole person – not just the disease.
If you have been diagnosed with head and neck cancer or a benign tumor, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Most-advanced treatments for head and neck cancer including proton therapy, gamma knife and targeted therapies
- Highly skilled head and neck surgeons
- Innovative minimally invasive techniques for head and neck cancer, including robotic, endoscopic and laser surgery
- Latest methods of speech, swallowing and hearing examination and rehabilitation, variety of options for voice restoration
- Nationally recognized research program offers clinical trials for head and neck cancer
Our Diagnostic Approach
Finding head and neck cancer in the early stages and diagnosing it accurately can help your treatment to be more successful. Our experts are highly specialized and accomplished in diagnosing and staging head and neck cancers, from the more common cancers to the extremely rare ones.
Our Clinical Trials
We are proud to be one of the few cancer centers in the nation to house a prestigious federally funded Head and Neck SPORE (Specialized Program of Research Excellence). We’re studying new ways to prevent and treat head and neck cancers to give patients futures filled with hope.
Since MD Anderson is one of the nation’s leading research centers, we’re able to offer clinical trials (research studies) for many types of head and cancer.
Make an Appointment
Departments & Programs
Patient Care Essentials
Here are some things to consider before making an appointment.
Get prepared for your first visit to MD Anderson.
Learn how to cope with treatment side effects and resolve treatment-related issues.
Find support for patients, family and caregivers.
Cancer survivorship issues before, during and after treatment.