Gynecologic Oncology Center
The experts at MD Anderson’s Laura Lee Blanton Gynecological Oncology Center are dedicated to diagnosing, treating and preventing every type and stage of cancer of women’s reproductive organs. Our goal is to deliver the most-advanced therapies while focusing on your quality of life. The diseases we treat include:
- Ovarian cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine (endometrial) cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Fallopian tube cancer
- Gynecologic sarcomas
- Gestational trophoblastic disease, a type of cancer that develops in the uterus
- Pre-invasive diseases of the lower genital tract
In addition, we provide:
- Evaluation of pelvic masses
- Ovarian and endometrial screening for high-risk patients
- Care for HPV (human papillomavirus) infections
- Cytoreductive surgery
We offer several specialized programs focused on preventing gynecological cancers and helping women at high risk:
- Clinical Cancer Genetics Program
- High Risk Ovarian Cancer Screening Clinic
- Gynecologic Cancer Genetics Clinic
At MD Anderson you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the nation’s largest and most experienced comprehensive cancer centers, which has all the support and wellness services needed to treat the whole person – not just the disease.
If you have been diagnosed with a gynecological cancer, it is important to be evaluated by expert physicians. We can help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Innovative treatments for gynecologic cancers including minimally invasive and fertility-sparing surgeries
- Pioneering gynecologic cancer advancements, including tumor marker CA 125
- Dedication to maintaining optimum quality of life
- Specialized care for women at high risk of gynecologic cancers
- High level of experience with all types of gynecologic cancer
- Clinical trials of new treatments, many not available elsewhere
Our Diagnostic Approach
Early and accurate diagnosis of gynecological cancers is important. Our specialized pathologists and diagnostic radiologists offer each patient leading-edge technology and techniques, including:
- PET (positron emission tomography) scans
- High-resolution CT (computed tomography) scans
- Transvaginal ultrasound
For many years, MD Anderson has been at the forefront of pioneering new treatments for gynecological cancers. We led research that proved cervical cancer can be treated more effectively with chemotherapy and radiation, instead of radiation alone. This changed the standard of care for cervical cancer and became the universally accepted approach. In addition, researchers here helped discover CA 125, a tumor marker that may help diagnose some types of gynecologic cancers in earlier stages.
We offer the most-advanced technologies and treatment options for gynecological cancers. Depending on the type of cancer, these may include:
- Radical and ultraradical surgeries
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Techniques that preserve organ and sexual function
- Surgical procedures that let women keep ability to have children, including radical trachelectomy
- Laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection
Our Clinical Trials
We are proud to be one of the few cancer centers in the nation to house two prestigious federally funded ovarian cancer SPORE (Specialized Program of Research Excellence) programs to study gynecological cancers. One is dedicated to ovarian cancer; the other is the only SPORE in the nation for uterine cancer.
We’re studying new ways to prevent and treat gynecological cancers to give patients everywhere futures filled with hope. View our list of current gynecologic cancer clinical trials to see if you're eligible for a study.
Make an Appointment
We are committed to making cancer history through our research efforts.