The Gynecologic Oncology Center holds weekly ovarian cancer screenings for women at high risk for developing the disease.
The ovarian cancer screening exam involves:
- A gynecologic physical examination
- An assessment of your medical and family history
- Transvaginal ultrasound, a radiologic procedure that provides a picture of the ovaries and uterus
- A CA-125 blood test, which may indicate the presence of ovarian cancer
- Discussion of your ovarian cancer risk
- Discussion of how you should be followed
Genetic counseling is available, and genetic testing can be arranged after speaking with the genetic counselor.
You will have three appointments:
- Physician visit in the clinic
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- CA-125 blood test
Your health insurance will be billed for each appointment.
Some patients are followed every six months or annually in the ovarian cancer screening clinic, along with a transvaginal ultrasound and CA-125 blood test. Some patients choose to have their ovaries removed, depending on age, childbearing status and cancer risk.
Location: Mays Clinic Building, Floor 6, near Elevator U Get Directions
Hours: Thursdays, 12:30-3 p.m.
Appointments & Referrals
- Patients, complete the online self-referral form to request an appointment.
- Physicians, complete the online physician referral form.
Help us #endcancer
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.