Clinical Cancer Genetics Program
Between five and 10% of cancer cases are inherited. Individuals with a genetic predisposition for developing the disease will have a far higher chance of developing cancer within their lifetime and at an earlier age.
Genetic testing can help determine whether a family has a hereditary cancer predisposition syndrome. Individuals who have genetically higher risks to develop certain cancers are recommended to follow high-risk cancer surveillance and management.
The Clinical Cancer Genetics Program can coordinate genetic testing and high-risk cancer surveillance for individuals and their families with hereditary cancer syndromes.
To learn more about cancer and genetics, visit our Family History or review info on the department below.
- Genetic counseling and genetic testing
- Hereditary cancer syndromes
- Preparing for a genetic counseling appointment
The Clinical Cancer Genetics Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center welcomes individuals who wish to learn more about cancer genetics and genetic counseling through an unpaid one week observational program. One applicant will be selected for each program. This program aims to provide applicants with exposure to the field of cancer genetic counseling through clinical shadowing and observation of genetic counselors. To learn more about the Summer Shadowing Program, review info in the links below.
- Genetic Counseling Summer Shadowing Application (pdf)
- Genetic Counseling Summer Shadowing Program Flyer (pdf)
Please email the completed application and a copy of your most recent resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2019 Summer Shadowing Program”. The application deadline is May 24, 2019.
- 18 years of age or older
- Currently working towards or have completed an undergraduate degree (BS, BA, AA, etc)
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States
- Ideal applications will demonstrate a specific interest in the field of genetic counseling
Genetic Counseling Appointment
Existing MD Anderson patients: Request a genetic counseling referral from your attending provider.