Be Well Baytown
Be Well™ Baytown is an initiative of MD Anderson sponsored by ExxonMobil. We aim to mobilize the community to promote wellness and stop cancer before it starts.
The initiative unites individuals, schools, workplaces, government agencies, health care providers and policy-makers to carry out community-led solutions that will make positive, long-lasting changes in people's lives.
Our Current Programs and Committee
Physical activity and diet programming is being led by six organizations.
- Hearts and Hands of Baytown and United Way of Greater Baytown Area & Chambers County are hosting mobile food fairs throughout the city to increase access to fresh produce, mentor local food pantries to offer healthy options to clients and help people eat healthy for life.
- The Baytown Family YMCA currently offering programming to promote healthy eating and encourage physical activity for all ages:
- YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program
- Healthy Weight and Your Child
- Walking Clubs
- Afterschool Youth Sports
- Harris County Public Health is working with local childcare centers to implement Outdoor Learning Environment (OLE! Texas), a statewide initiative that encourage young children to be active and learn in nature.
Sun safety programming is being led by three collaborating organizations.
- Goose Creek CISD is implementing a sun safety policy district-wide that includes education on sun safety and increased access to shade for all.
- Lee College is embracing an effort to educate and inform the college community on the harmful effects of excessive sun exposure, provide staff and students with the necessary tools to help reduce their risk, and increase availability of shade across campus.
- The City of Baytown is enhancing the city parks to reduce sun exposure by installing sunscreen dispensers and shade structures, increasing natural shade, and hosting educational sessions for city employees.
MD Anderson leads Be Well Baytown and serves as the backbone organization with support from the community. Community organizations include:
- Baytown Chamber of Commerce
- City of Baytown
- Chambers Health
- Goose Creek CISD
- Harris County Public Health
- Harris Health System
- Hearts and Hands of Baytown, a ministry of Iglesia Cristo Viene
- Houston Methodist Baytown
- Lee College
- Love Network of Baytown
- Our Promise to West Baytown
- United Way of Greater Baytown Area & Chambers County
- YMCA of Greater Houston
5 simple ways to get involved in Baytown
- Attend a mobile food fair organized by Hearts and Hands of Baytown.
- Protect your skin by using one of the many sunscreen dispensers and sun shades located at city parks and Lee College.
- Ask your Goose Creek CISD school about their CATCH family nights.
- Join a walking club with the Baytown Family YMCA or take a hike on the Goose Creek Trail.
- Be a part of Be Well Baytown and spread the word: #BeWellBaytown.
Baytown in Action!
Be Well Baytown Day 2019
Be Well Baytown Day 2019
Mobile food fair hosted by Hearts and Hands of Baytown
GCCISD students playing scarf tag
Attendees enjoying 2018 Be Well Baytown Day!
Our collaborations are multiplying and the impact is helping families to move from a place of enablement to elevation. Turning the safety net into a trampoline!
Nikki Rincon, Executive Director, Hearts and Hands of Baytown
Be Well Baytown Steering Committee Member