Our hematology disorders treatments
Treatments for these disorders depend on a patient’s exact diagnosis. There are several widely-used therapies, though:
- Iron chelation therapy is given to iron overload patients. It uses drugs to remove iron from the blood.
- Patients with excessive clotting get anticoagulants, or blood thinners.
- Thrombocytopenia agonists are platelet stimulants. They are given to patients with thrombocytopenia.
- Intravenous immunoglobulin is a blood product containing antibodies collected from blood donors. Patients with certain types of thrombocytopenia get this treatment.
- Cellular therapies, such as blood transfusions and cell growth factors, involve injecting cellular material into a patient. This is a used to treat many hematology disorders.
- Chemotherapy is used to treat histocytic disorders.
- Stem cell transplants involve giving patients stem cells from the bone marrow of another person, often a close relative. Patients with bone marrow failure disorders and some hemoglobinopathies can get this treatment. This is a serious procedure that requires weeks of isolation. It is often tried only after other therapies have failed.
At MD Anderson's Children's Cancer Hospital, a team of experts customizes a treatment plan for each of our patients.
This includes renowned hematologists who care for patients with benign blood disorders. These doctors care for pediatric patients whose blood disorders are caused by cancer or its treatments. They also treat patients who don't have cancer but need expert care for their blood condition.
A team of specially trained physicians communicate closely with each other, and with you, to ensure comprehensive, personalized care. They are supported by full complement of health care professionals dedicated to your child's treatment, including nurses, physician assistants, therapists and others.
Treating the whole child
Children's Cancer Hospital is designed just for children, with a full range of services and amenities that help make the child and family's experience as comfortable as possible. We go beyond medical care to deliver a comprehensive experience that treats the whole child.
And, at Children's Cancer Hospital, your child benefits from the resources and expertise of one of the nation's top cancer centers.