Genitourinary Cancer Center
MD Anderson’s Genitourinary (GU) Cancer Center provides personalized care for cancers of the urinary tract and male genital tract. The center is one of the most active programs in the country for GU cancers. Our goal is to control the cancer and preserve the best quality of life after treatment for:
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Penile cancer
- Nonmalignant tumors of the urinary tract and male reproductive system
- Von Hippel Lindau disease (VHL)
In addition, we evaluate patients with elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA).
And at MD Anderson, you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the nation’s largest and most experienced comprehensive cancer centers, which has all the support and wellness services needed to treat the whole person – not just the disease.
If you have been diagnosed with GU cancer, it is important to see expert doctors. We can help. Call 1-866-363-1332 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson's Genitourinary Center?
- Most-advanced genitourinary cancer treatments including proton therapy, gene therapy and targeted therapies
- Advanced surgical techniques including laser, cryosurgery and robotic laparoscopic procedures
- Highly specialized team of experts
- Dedication to maintaining optimum function and quality of life
- Range of clinical trials of new treatments for genitourinary cancer
Our Diagnostic Approach
Early and precise diagnosis and staging of GU cancer is crucial to your successful treatment. The GU Center’s highly specialized and skilled radiation oncologists and pathologists offer the most-advanced technologies and techniques to pinpoint the location and extent of the cancer. Our diagnostic methods include:
- PET (positron emission tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance) scans
- High-resolution CT (computed tomography) scans
- CT urogram
- Transrectal ultrasound
We take a team approach to GU cancer, and our expert medical oncologists, surgical oncologists and radiation oncologists -- each highly specialized in a particular type of GU cancer — collaborate closely to customize your treatment. Some of the leading-edge therapies we offer include:
- Proton therapy
- Minimally invasive surgeries including laser, cryosurgical, laparoscopic and robotic procedures
- Conformal radiotherapy, IMRT and brachytherapy
- Nerve-sparing techniques
- Targeted therapies, gene therapy
- Surgical reconstruction
Our Clinical Trials
As one of the world’s largest cancer research centers, MD Anderson is leading the investigation into new methods of GU cancer diagnosis and treatment. As a matter of fact, many therapies now standard around the world were developed or perfected here.
We’re studying new ways to prevent and treat GU cancer. This means we are able to offer clinical trials (research studies) of many new agents. For more information about clinical trials at MD Anderson, visit our Clinical Trials database or speak to your doctor.