- Departments, Labs and Institutes
- Hui-Lin Pan Laboratory
Areas of Research
- Anesthesiology Research
- Cancer Neuroscience Research
- Cardiology Research
- Chronic Pain
- Epigenetics Research
Our neuroscience research focuses on the function of voltage- and ligand-gated ion channels and synaptic plasticity in chronic pain, opioid actions, and neurogenic hypertension. Our current studies include: (1) neural circuitry and molecular mechanisms of chronic neuropathic pain caused by cancer chemotherapy, surgery, and nerve trauma; (2) signaling transduction mechanisms involved in opioid-induced hyperalgesia and analgesic tolerance; and (3) roles of the hypothalamus and sympathetic nervous system in neurogenic hypertension caused by chronic stress and clinically used medications.
Current NIH Grant Support
- Neural Mechanisms of Calcineurin Inhibitor-Induced Hypertension. NIH/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (R01 HL154512); 07/2020 – 06/2024, Principal Investigator.
- Signaling Mechanisms of Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia and Tolerance. NIH/National Institute on Drug Abuse (R01 DA041711); 03/2017 – 07/2027, Principal Investigator (MPI: Shao-Rui Chen).
- Molecular Determinants of Synaptic Plasticity in Neuropathic Pain. NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (R01 NS101880); 08/2017 – 11/2027, Principal Investigator (MPI: Shao-Rui Chen).
- REST-Mediated Epigenomic and Transcriptomic Signatures in Neuropathic Pain. NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (R01 NS112280); 09/01/2019 – 07/30/2023, MPI (Contact PI: Sadhan Majumder).
- REST-Mediated Regulation of Opioid Receptors in Chronic Pain Mouse Models. NIH/National Institute on Drug Abuse (R61 DA049334); 07/01/2010 – 06/31/2025, MPI (Contact PI: Sadhan Majumder).
- Targeting HB-EGF and trigeminal EGFR for oral cancer pain and opioid tolerance. NIH/National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (R01 DE032501); 10/2022 – 09/2027, Sub-award Co-Investigator (PI: Yi Ye, New York University).
- Mechanisms of Epigenetic Plasticity in Neuropathic Pain. NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (R01 NS122241); 04/2023 – 03/2028, Principal Investigator (MPI: Shao-Rui Chen).
Hui-Lin Pan, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, and Pain Medicine
1515 Holcombe Blvd
Houston, TX 77030