Swathi Arur, Ph.D.
Areas of Research
- ncRNAs Research
- Cancer Metastasis Research
Welcome to the Arur Laboratory. We use multidisciplinary approaches and model systems with the goal to gain knowledge and understanding on principles that regulate female fertility. We focus on meiosis I, which is largely completed in the female fetus in vertebrates. Specifically, we focus on the role of maternal environment and nutrition on progression of female meiosis I, and its impact on birth and development of the progeny.
- Female germ cell development
- Nutritional and environmental signals that coordinate female fertility
- Mechanisms of cancer progression and metastasis
Research projects in the Arur Laboratory are focused on two major areas:
- Unraveling the environmentally regulated mechanisms and molecules that control meiotic I progression in female germ cells. We use C. elegans as our model system for this work.
- Identifying principles and players that regulate tumor progression upon metabolic signaling rather than through the increase in mutational burden. We use mouse and cultured cells as models for this work. These efforts should allow us to identify metabolic checkpoints impeding tumor growth.
Explore the various links on our web page and get to know us and our research.We welcome discussions; please contact us using our email address.
Arur Lab News
April 17, 2018
Tokiko, Kenny, Hyoe-Jin and Shin-Yu’s paper on the role of GSK-3 in regulating germline stem cell proliferation is accepted in Development!
March 28, 2018
Debabrata is awarded the AAISCR-Legacy Immigration Training Scholarship to attend the MBL course on Foundations of Reproduction. Congratulations Deba!
February 27, 2018
Amanda presents her work in a platform talk at the Noncoding RNA: physiology, form and function.
February 1, 2018
Amanda is awarded the first place in platform presentations at the Baylor College of Medicine, Program in Developmental Biology Student Retreat.
December 4, 2017
Swathi is named the Faculty Educator of the Month!
August 17, 2017
Swathi wins the Distinguished Faculty Mentor Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center!
March 10, 2017
Swathi is named Andrew Sabin Family Foundation Fellow, MD Anderson Cancer Center.