Swathi Arur, Ph.D.
Areas of Research
- Developmental Biology Research
- miRNAs Research
- ncRNAs Research
- Nutrition Research
- Cancer Metastasis Research
Welcome to the Arur Laboratory. We use multidisciplinary approaches and model systems with the goal to gain knowledge and understanding on principles that regulate female fertility. We focus on meiosis I, which is largely completed in the female fetus in vertebrates. Specifically, we focus on the role of maternal environment and nutrition on progression of female meiosis I, and its impact on birth and development of the progeny.
- Female germ cell development
- Nutritional and environmental signals that coordinate female fertility
- Mechanisms of cancer progression and metastasis
Research projects in the Arur Laboratory are focused on two major areas:
- Unraveling the environmentally regulated mechanisms and molecules that control meiotic I progression in female germ cells. We use C. elegans as our model system for this work.
- Identifying principles and players that regulate tumor progression upon metabolic signaling rather than through the increase in mutational burden. We use mouse and cultured cells as models for this work. These efforts should allow us to identify metabolic checkpoints impeding tumor growth.
Explore the various links on our web page and get to know us and our research.We welcome discussions; please contact us using our email address.
Meet the Team
From left to right: Raisa Castro, Shin-Yu Chen, Charlotte Lee, Jacob Seeman, Jacob Ortega, Swathi Arur, Deb Debabrata, Amanda Minogue, Kenny Trimmer, Tokiko Furuta
Arur Lab News
September 25, 2018
Congratulations to Amanda for winning second place at the Platform presentations at the Genetics and Epigenetics Program Retreat!
August 22, 2018
Congratulations to Swathi and the lab for being awarded the NIGMS Equipment Supplement to purchase a Zeiss LSM 800 Confocal Microscope! Thank you NIGMS!!
July 10, 2018
New Grant! Swathi is awarded a one year Institutional Research Grant! Congratulations to the lab!
June 28, 2018
Congratulations to Jacob Ortega for passing his oral qualifying exam with flying colors.
April 17, 2018
Tokiko, Kenny, Hyoe-Jin and Shin-Yu’s paper on the role of GSK-3 in regulating germline stem cell proliferation is accepted in Development!
March 28, 2018
Debabrata is awarded the AAISCR-Legacy Immigration Training Scholarship to attend the MBL course on Foundations of Reproduction. Congratulations Deba!