Swathi Arur, Ph.D.
Areas of Research
- Developmental Biology Research
- miRNAs Research
- ncRNAs Research
- Nutrition Research
- Cancer Metastasis Research
Welcome to the Arur Laboratory. We use multidisciplinary approaches and model systems with the goal to gain knowledge and understanding on principles that regulate female fertility. We focus on meiosis I, which is largely completed in the female fetus in vertebrates. Specifically, we focus on the role of maternal environment and nutrition on progression of female meiosis I, and its impact on birth and development of the progeny.
- Female germ cell development
- Nutritional and environmental signals that coordinate female fertility
- Mechanisms of cancer progression and metastasis
Research projects in the Arur Laboratory are focused on two major areas:
- Unraveling the environmentally regulated mechanisms and molecules that control meiotic I progression in female germ cells. We use C. elegans as our model system for this work.
- Identifying principles and players that regulate tumor progression upon metabolic signaling rather than through the increase in mutational burden. We use mouse and cultured cells as models for this work. These efforts should allow us to identify metabolic checkpoints impeding tumor growth.
Explore the various links on our web page and get to know us and our research.We welcome discussions; please contact us using our email address.
Meet the Team
From left to right: Swathi Arur, Amanda Minogue, Raisa Reyes Castro, Jacob Ortega, Kenneth Trimmer, Jacob Seeman, Deba Das, Charlotte Lee, Shin-Yu Chen, Lisa Watson, Han Bit Baek, Tokiko Furuta
Arur Lab News
November 9, 2019
Congratulations to Jacob Ortega for being awarded the First Place and People’s Choice Award at the platform session talks of Genetics and Epigenetics Student Retreat!
August 28, 2019
Congratulations to Jacob for being elected President of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americas in Science (SACNAS), Baylor College of Medicine Chapter.
June 19, 2019
Deba Das was awarded the Odyssey Postdoctoral Fellowship for three years! Congratulations Deba!!
June 10, 2019
Congratulations to Jacob on passing his qualifying exam with an unconditional pass!
March 14, 2019
Congratulations to Kenny on successfully defending his thesis!