- Health-Related Leave
- Family and Medical Leave (FML)
- Parental Leave
- Reduced Paid Leave (RPL)
- Reduced Paid Leave (RPL) for COVID-19 (Ended April 9, 2023)
- Extended Illness Bank (EIB)
- Major Disaster Donation Pool (MDDP) (Ended April 9, 2023)
- Veterans Health Leave
- Return to Work After a Job-Protected Leave
- Wellness Leave
- Childcare Leave
Veterans Health Leave
Each fiscal year, 120 hours of Veterans Health Leave, pro-rated by full-time equivalent status (FTE) is provided to veterans who seek medical, physical rehabilitation and/or mental health care administered by the Veterans Health Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).1 By submitting a confirmation of a visit with the VA to the HR Leave Center, this leave can be used before using other applicable accrued time such as PTO or EIB.
All regular full-time and part-time (at least .5FTE/20 hours per week) benefits eligible employees who are veterans of the military are eligible for Veterans Health Leave (VHL).
Process for Using
STEP 1: Employee discusses the time needed for leave with your manager.
- Please consider the business needs of your department when scheduling your appointments and/or treatments. Managers may ask you to reschedule your appointments due to business needs of the department. However, rescheduling should not interfere with your medical care.
- When possible, give your manager at least 1 week notice prior to the leave.
STEP 2: Employee contacts HR Leave Center at 713-745-3652 (5-FMLA) soon after notifying your manager. The HR Leave Center will explain documentation requirements and your responsibilities. Contacting the HR Leave Center quickly is important to ensure your pay is coded accurately.
STEP 3: HR Leave Center will determine the need for Family Medical Leave (FML).
- If the leave is for a chronic or reoccurring condition, the Intermittent Family Medical Leave process will apply.
- If the leave is not covered by FML, the employee should submit a confirmation of the visit from the VA to the HR Leave Center within 7 days after the appointment. If appropriate documentation is not submitted by this time, the HR Leave Center will code your leave using other applicable leave accruals.
Note: VHL is used for appointments and/or treatments only. Other leave must be used when experiencing symptoms related to the condition without an appointment (flare-ups.)
Hours not used by the end of the fiscal year will expire. 120 hours (prorated by FTE) will replenish at the beginning of the fiscal year.
Abuse of Veterans Health Leave
Obtaining or using job-protected leave under false pretenses or by falsifying medical documents is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
1 Texas Government Code Section 661.924