Information and photos posted by the public on MD Anderson Cancer Center’s social media accounts, including this Facebook page, are not “protected health information” and are not protected by U.S. health privacy laws. This means MD Anderson may share anything you post here on our social media accounts, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Snapchat, LinkedIn and Yelp. Before posting about someone else, get that person’s permission and ensure accuracy of information.
MD Anderson wants to provide a friendly, informative and engaging community for users of our social media channels, including our blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube pages, and we encourage you to comment and share your opinions and stories in a courteous and respectful manner.
To maintain a supportive and courteous environment, the following types of comments and posts are prohibited:
- Language or content that is profane, obscene, vulgar, indecent, pornographic, threatening, abusive, harassing, intimidating, embarrassing, or defamatory
- Content that is illegal or violates the right of any person or entity including intellectual property, privacy, or publicity rights
- Personal attacks on individuals or specific groups
- Content that discriminates based on race, creed, age, color, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, income level, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or any other form of discrimination
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Links to products and services that MD Anderson does not offer or endorse
- Content or encouragement of illegal, harmful or offensive activity
- Content for the purposes of promoting a competitor or competitive product
- Content that is inappropriate, in poor taste or otherwise contrary to MD Anderson’s core values and the purposes of this forum, in the sole discretion of MD Anderson.
Information here is not a substitute for specific medical advice
The information we share on our social media channels shouldn’t be considered medical advice. Please discuss all specific medical questions and concerns with your personal health care provider.
Exercise caution when sharing personal information
Keep in mind that once you post something online, it may be read by thousands of others in our online community and beyond.
Therefore, we encourage you to use caution when sharing medical information or other personal information on our Facebook page or any of our other social media sites. For your own privacy and protection, we encourage you not to share information such as your medical record number, financial information or any other information that you and/or your friends and relatives would not want strangers to know. Similarly, you should not post private, personal or sensitive information belonging to or about any other individual or entity.
If you are a workforce member of MD Anderson, you must disclose your status with MD Anderson when you submit a comment or post.
By engaging with our social media networks:
- you grant MD Anderson the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use all of your posted content for any purpose and in any media without any legal or monetary obligation or consideration to you or the author; and
- you guarantee to MD Anderson that you have the right to use and post your content.
All statements and viewpoints expressed in the comments are strictly those of the commenter alone and do not constitute an official position of MD Anderson and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of MD Anderson. MD Anderson is not responsible for, and does not endorse, third party sites or their content.
Social media monitoring
MD Anderson actively monitors all of its social media channels daily, during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST Monday through Friday, with the exclusion of all holidays. MD Anderson reserves the right in its sole discretion to remove comments and posts that, and block users who, violate these guidelines.
If you have any issues or concerns that you would like to raise, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. While we strive to address concerns the same day, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to resolve an issue the same day.