There are many things to think about when making choices about breast reconstruction. In addition to medical reasons to choose one option over another, there are also your personal values and preferences. Use the answers to the questions below to help you decide what option you would prefer.
Talk to your reconstructive surgeon about any medical issues that may affect which options will be best for you. Ask your doctor:
- If you can have breast reconstruction
- If you will need other cancer treatments that will delay reconstruction
- What reconstruction options are possible with your body size and shape
Also, when thinking about breast reconstruction, ask yourself the following questions:
- How do I want to look in and out of my clothes?
- How much time am I willing to spend recovering from surgery?
- What physical activities do I participate in that could be affected by surgery to my stomach, back or buttock?
Use our handy Options for Breast Reconstruction Guide (pdf) to help you make the decision that's right for you.
View Spanish guide.
Help us #endcancer
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.