Welcome to the Yao Laboratory at MD Anderson!
Our research is focused on understanding and targeting the intricate tumor ecosystem and its adaptive behaviors. We aim to integrate basic and translational research to accelerate the discovery of new therapeutic modalities. We are currently integrating genetic, proteomic, molecular biological and biochemical technologies to accelerate the discovery of new therapeutic modalities in preclinical model systems such as genetically engineered mouse models and patient derived xenograft models. We further aim to gain in depth molecular insights into the complicated array of tumorigenic events to discover novel therapeutic approaches that target mechanisms essential for cancer cell survival.
Our recent research projects focus on:
- Identification of novel therapeutic susceptibilities using in-house developed target-discovery platform based on functional genetic screen and next generation sequencing approaches
- Validation of functional and accessible targets critical for oncogene-dependent and -independent events in metabolic reprogramming, metastasis and drug resistance
- Characterization of molecular and cellular mechanism by which the identified novel targets regulate cancer cells and immune environment
- Generation of novel preclinical models of pancreatic cancer and soft tissue sarcoma
- Development of new therapeutic strategies to attack cancer cell or trigger immune response against tumor
Functional genetic screens