- Swanick CW, Lin SH, Sutton J, Naik NS, Allen PK, Levy LB, Liao Z, Welsh JW, Komaki R, Chang JY, Gomez DR.
Use of simultaneous radiation boost achieves high control rates in patients with non-small cell lung cancer who are not candidates for surgery or conventional chemoradiation.
Clin Lung Cancer. 2015 Mar;16(2):156-63. doi: 10.1016/j.cllc.2014.10.005. Epub 2014 Oct 25.
An analysis of the use of intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) with a simultaneous integrated boos (SIB) in patients with lung cancer and shorter treatment schedules.
- Seyedin SN, Tang C, Welsh JW.
Author’s view: radiation and immunotherapy as systemic therapy for solid tumors.
Oncoimmunology. 2015 Jan 20;4(3):e986402. eCollection 2015 Jan.
A review focused on investigating the combination of radiation and immune checkpoint inhibitors in inducing the abscopal (systemic) antitumor effects.
- Chance, WW, Rice DC, Allen PK, Tsao AS, Fontanilla HP, Liao Z, Chnag JY, Tang C, Pan HY, Welsh JW, Mehran RJ, Gomez DR.
Hemithoracic intensity modulated radiation therapy after pleurectomy/decortication for malignant pleural mesothelioma: toxicity, patterns of failure, and a matched survival analysis.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Jan 1;91(1):149-56. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.08.343. Epub 2014 Oct 25.
An investigation into recurrence, efficacy and safety after hemithoracic intensity modulated radiation therapy after pleurectomy/decoration (PD-IMRT) and after extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP-IMRT).
- Selek U, Bolukbasi Y, Welsh JW, Topkan E.
Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy versus 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy Strategies for Locally Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer.
Balkan Med J. 2014 Dec;31(4):286-94. doi: 10.5152/balkanmedj.2014.14529. Epub 2014 Sep 13. Review.
An article that examines the benefit of IMRT over 3DCRT in delivering a more optimal treatment plant for patients suffering from inoperable stage IIIA or IIIB non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Aminia A, Byers LA, Welsh JW, Komaki RU.
Progress in the Management of limited-stage small cell lung cancer.
Cancer. 2014 Mar 15;120(6):790-8. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28505. Epub 2013 Dec 10. Review.
Review of new treatment plans in radiation therapy for managing limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Topics include hyperfractionation, intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), imageguided adaptive radiotherapy, and 4-dimensional computed tomography/positron emission tomography.
- Amini A, Ajani J, Komaki R, Allen PK, Minksky BD, Blum M, Xiao L, Suzuki A, Hofstetter W, Swisher S, Gomez D, Liao Z, Lee JH, Bhutani MS, Welsh JW.
Factors associated with local-regional failure after definitive chemoradiation for locally advanced esophageal cancer.
Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Jan;21(1):306-14. doi: 10.1245/s10434-013-3303-0. Epub 2013 Nov 7.
An analysis of patients who reached clinical complete response (cCR) after definitive chemoradiaiton for esophageal cancer to identify clinical predictors of local disease recurrence.
- Welsh JW, Seyedin SN, Cortez MA, Maity A, Hahn SM.
Galectin-1 and immune suppression during radiotherapy.
Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Dec 15;20(24):6230-2. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-2702. Epub 2014 Oct 27.
Gal-1 shRNA can substantially decrease radiation-induced lymphopenia which is cause by galectin-1 (Gal-1) secretion by tumors inducing CD8(+) T-cell apoptosis.
- Xu T, Liao Z, O’Reilly MS, Levy LB, Welsh JW, Wang LE, Lin SH, Komaki R, Liu Z, Wei Q, Gomez DR.
Serum inflammatory miRNAs predict radiation esophagitis in patients receiving definitive radiochemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer.
Radiother Oncol. 2014 Dec;113(3):379-84. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2014.11.006. Epub 2014 Nov. 25.
Investigation into serum miRNAs related to immunity/inflammation that are associated with esophagitis and induced by chemoradiaiton therapy (CRT) for non-small lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Gomez DR, Yusuf SW, Munsell MF, Welsh JW, Liao Z, Lin SH, Pany HY, Chang JY, Komaki R, Cox JD, McAleer MF, Grosshans DR.
Prospective exploratory analysis of cardiac biomarkers and electrocardiogram abnormalities in patients receiving thoracic radiation therapy with high-dose heart exposure.
J Thorac Oncol. 2014 Oct;9(10):1554-60. doi: 10.1097/JTO.0000000000000306.
An evaluation of longitudinal changes in cardiac biomarkers for patients undergoing conformal radiation therapy (RT) with thoracic malignancies with high dose cardiac exposure.
- Chen L, Gibbons DL, Goswami S, Cortez MA, Ahn YH, Byers LA, Zhang X, Yi X, Dwyer D, Lin W, Diao L, Wang J, Roybal JD, Patel M, Ungewiss C, Peng D, Antonia S, Mediavilla-Varela M, Roberston G, Jones S, Suraokar M, Welsh JW, Erez B, Wistuba II, Chen L, Peng D, Wang S, Ullrich SE, Heymach JV, Kurie JM, Qin FX.
Metastasis is regulated via microRNA-200/ZEB1 axis control of tumor cell PD-L1 expression and intratumoral immunosuppression.
Nat Commun. 2014 Oct 28;5:5241. doi: 10.1038/ncomms6241.
Article demonstrates a molecular link between epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) and CD8(+) tumor infiltrating lymphocytes immunosuppresion, two key drivers of cancer progression.
- Cuellar SL, Carter BW, Macapinlac HA, Ajani JA, Komaki R, Welsh JW, Lee JH, Swisher SG, Correa AM, Erasmus JJ, Hofstetter WL.
Clinical staging of patients with early esophageal adenocarcinoma: does FDG-PET/CT have a
J Thorac Oncol. 2014 Aug;9(8):1202-6. doi: 10.1097/JTO.0000000000000222.
Article examines efficacy and utility of FDG-PET/CT in the clinical staging of early stage esophageal cancer.
- Li Q, Swanick CW, Allen PK, Gomez DR, Welsh JW, Liao Z, Balter PA, Chang JY
Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) using 70 Gy in 10 fractions for non-small cell lung cancer: exploration of clinical indications.
Radiother Oncol. 2014 Aug;112(2):256-61. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2014.07.010. Epub 2014 Aug. 6.
A report of the outcomes of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) using new dose-volume constraints.
- Tang C, Liao Z, Gomez D, Levy L, Zhunag Y, Gebremichael RA, Hong DS, Komaki R, Welsh JW.
Lymphopenia association with gross tumor volume and lung V5 and its effects on non-small cell lung cancer patient outcomes.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Aug 1;89(5):1084-91. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.04.025.
Epub 2014 Jul 8.
Investigation into the mechanisms underlying radiation induced lymphopenia and its associations with patient outcomes in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Cortez MA, Valdecanas D, Zhang X, Zhan Y, Bhardwaj V, Calin GA, Komaki R, Giri DK, Quini CC, Wolfe T, Peltier HJ, Bader AG, Heymach JV, Meyn RE, Welsh JW.
Therapeutic delivery of miR-200c enhances radiosensitivity in lung cancer
Mol Ther. 2014 Aug;22(8):1494-503. doi: 10.1038/mt.2014.79. Epub 2014 May 5.
Antitumor effects of miR-200c result partially from its regulation of the oxidative stress response; and suggest that miR-200C in combination with radiation, could represent a therapeutic strategy in the future.
- Evans JD, Gomez DR, Chang JY, Gladish GW, Erasmus JJ, Rebueno N, Banchs J, Komaki R, Welsh JW.
Cardiac 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose uptake on positron emission tomography after thoracic stereotactic body radiation therapy.
Radiother Oncol. 2013 Oct;109(1):82-8. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc.2013.07.021. Epub 2013 Sep 7.
A review of patients treated with thoracic stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) and an establishing of correlations between SBRT does and observed changes in cardiac FDG-PET uptake.
- Chang JY, Liu YH, Zhu Z, Welsh JW, Gomez DR, Komaki R, Roth JA, Swisher SG.
Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy: a potentially curable approach to early stage multiple primary lung cancer.
Cancer. 2013 Sep 15;119(18):3402-10. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28217. Epub 2013 Jun 24.
A report on the role of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) for patients with MPLC (multiple primary lung cancer).
- Francis AM, Sepsei B, Correa AM, Blum MA, Erasmus JJ, Lee JH, Maru DM, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Roth JA, Vaporciyan AA, Walsh GL, Welsh JW, Swisher SG, Hofstetter WL; University of
Texas MD Anderson Esophageal Cancer Group
The influence of histopathologic tumor viability on long-term survival and recurrence rates following neoadjuvant therapy for esophageal adenocarcinoma.
Ann Surg. 2013 Sep;258(3):500-7. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3182a196f4.
Article validates effect of histopathologic tumor viability (HTV) on extended survival outcomes and assesses the prognostic ability of the current staging system in patients receiving preoperative chemoradiotherapy (CRT).
- Welsh JW, Komaki R, Amini A, Munsell MF, Unger W, Allen PK, Chang JY, Wefel JS, McGovern SL, Garland LL, Chen SS, Holt J, Liao Z, Brown P, Sulman E, Heymach JV, Kim ES, Stea B.
Phase II trial of erlotinib plus concurrent whole-brain radiation therapy for patients with brain metastases from non-small-cell lung cancer.
Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2013 Mar. 1;31(7):895-902. Epub 2013 Jan 22.
Study that combined whole brain radiation therapy with and EGFR inhibitor (EGFR is know to contribute to radiation resistance). The therapy was used to extend survival of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer.