The MD Anderson Quitline offers patients from Federally Qualified Health Centers free and effective smoking cessation services. Patients receive high quality, one-on-one counseling via phone and/or text as well as up to eight weeks of free nicotine replacement therapy – more than most quitlines provide.
Patients are also paired with the same Quit Coach from beginning to end of care, another unique feature of the MD Anderson Quitline. Research shows that using counseling and medications together offers the best chance of quitting for good.
This enhanced service is a more effective model for tobacco cessation than traditional quitlines, and can be expanded to other groups to provide effective, evidence-based services to the larger community.
Paul M. Cinciripini, Ph.D.
Director, MD Anderson Tobacco Research and Treatment Program
Certified Quit Coaches for each patient
Quit Coaches are certified by MD Anderson's rigorous Tobacco Treatment Training Program and are credentialed as Tobacco Treatment Specialists with a background in behavioral science. This training provides them with the latest information in tobacco cessation research and treatment strategies to help patients quit.
Patients receive these key services:
- Access to the same Quit Coach throughout treatment to help ensure a strong connection.
- Motivational text messages in between counseling sessions to increase engagement and quit success.
- Up to eight weeks of free nicotine replacement therapy, which includes over the counter patches, gums, an inhaler or lozenges.
- Self-help material, as well as further support from licensed professional counselors if additional mental health issues are identified.
- Service in more than 200 languages.
Contact the MD Anderson Quitline at 832-750-QUIT.
- Current Expansion: Avenue 360 Health + Wellness (7 clinic locations)
- South Central, and Southwest, Humble, The Heights, Memorial City, Montrose,
- Spring Branch Community Health Center (6 clinic locations)
- SB- CyFair Clinic
- SB- Hillendahl Clinic
- SB- Katy Clinic
- SB- Pitner Clinic
- SB- West Houston Clinic
- SB- WholeLife Clinic
- El Centro de Corazón (4 clinic locations)
- ECDC Dunn
- ECDC Eastwood
- ECDC Magnolia
- ECDC Southeast
- HOPE Clinic Community Health Center (4 clinic locations)
- HOPE Clinic – Aldine Community Health Center
- HOPE Clinic – Alief Community Health Center
- HOPE Clinic – Main Community Health Center
- HOPE Clinic – West Community Health Center
- Pasadena Health Center
- UT Health Pittsburg