Anaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC) is a very rare and aggressive disease that requires accurate diagnosis and immediate treatment.
MD Anderson's Facilitating Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer Specialized Treatment Team, or FAST, is a collaboration of renowned thyroid cancer experts in oncologic endocrinology, medical oncology, head and neck surgery and radiation therapy. The FAST team is dedicated to confirming your cancer diagnosis and developing a treatment plan within seven business days of your first appointment.
There are only 500 new anaplastic thyroid cancer cases diagnosed each year in the U.S. Most doctors will never see a case, and up to 30% of patients with ATC are misdiagnosed.
At MD Anderson, we have treated hundreds of patients with ATC. Our combined expertise and access to emerging therapies offer the best hope of effective treatment.
MD Anderson FAST team members:
- Maria E. Cabanillas, M.D., FACE, Oncologic Endocrinologist
- Naifa Busaidy, M.D., FACP, Oncologic Endocrinologist
- Ramona Dadu, M.D., Oncologic Endocrinologist
- Renata Ferrarotto, M.D., Head and Neck Medical Oncologist
- G. Brandon Gunn, M.D., Radiation Oncologist
- Stephen Y. Lai, M.D., Ph.D., Head and Neck Surgeon
- Charles Lu, M.D., Head and Neck Medical Oncologist
- Michelle D. Williams, M.D., Pathologist
- Marieberta Vidal, M.D., Palliative Care Medicine
- Mark Zafereo, M.D., Head and Neck Surgeon
Other MD Anderson experts may see ATC patients as part of the comprehensive treatment plan.
Make an Appointment
Patients with a diagnosis or suspicion of anaplastic thyroid cancer or their doctors are urged to make an appointment at MD Anderson right away.
- Patients: Use our online self-referral form
- Physicians: Refer your patients through myMDAnderson
- Questions?: Call 877-632-6789
Appointments are scheduled within five business days.
Thyroid Cancer Patients Travel Fund
Help us #endcancer
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.