Making Cancer History® for our patients
Learn more about MD Anderson Cancer Center's humble beginnings and how a passion for patient care has driven the institution to become an international leader in cancer research, education, prevention and patient care. Our history comes alive through the reflections of a renowned historian and the diverse stories of cancer survivors as they contemplate the role MD Anderson has played in their lives and the lives of countless other patients and their families.
Future of cancer care
MD Anderson experts share a vision for the future by highlighting innovative breakthroughs in research, treatment and prevention. After 75 years of excellence, MD Anderson is still driven by a passion for our patients, and together, we are Making Cancer History®.
Nearly 6,500 patients, caregivers, family members, employees and supporters came out to help us give cancer the boot. The event raised about $850,000 for cancer research.
Then & Now
Current MD Anderson President Ronald DePinho, M.D., with photos of his predecessors in leadership
Nurses from around the world come to learn techniques introduced here. Today, we have about 3,700 nurses.
The Freeman-Dunn Chapel outside the Main Building opened in 1978 and is one of several worship locations.
Doctors with a model of the 1000-Curie Cobolt-60 irradiator at our Proton Therapy Center, which opened in ‘06.
The R. Lee Clark Clinic, named for our first full-time president, was completed in 1978 and expanded in 1987.
Our trained volunteers work with staff to provide comfort, care and support to patients and their caregivers.
The Albert B. and Margaret M. Alkek Hospital, under construction and today. The facility opened in 1998.
A photo of our original lab in the former stables of the Baker estate, held aloft at the new Zayed Building.
A photo of our namesake and the man whose gift made MD Anderson possible is held in front of our Donor Wall.
In 1964, our gift shop used to sell cigarettes, but on Jan. 1, 1989, MD Anderson became a smoke-free campus
Our logo has changed over 75 years. Pictured are our past three logos in front of a sign with our current one.
A photo of our temporary quarters on the James A. Baker estate in 1942 in front of our Mid Campus Building 1.