At MD Anderson, we give our employees access to institutional email and the MD Anderson virtual private network to ensure their ability to be productive away from the office.
Access your email from anywhere
Use Outlook Web Access at http://mailbox.mdanderson.org to access outlook while away from work.
Access your files online through VX Remote
You do not have to be on your MD Anderson computer to use VX Remote. Simply visit the VX Remote website at https://vxremote.mdanderson.org from any desktop or laptop. Then:
- Log in with your MD Anderson myID username and password.
- Use your mobile device to complete the log in process with two-factor authentication.
- Once logged in, an icon of a computer monitor labeled “OneConnect” will appear. Click on this icon to launch the VX Remote connection.
Once you’ve launched the VX Remote workspace, you will be able to access your files on the shared drive by clicking on the This PC folder within the window.
Be aware, the VX Remote option isn’t optimized for mobile or tablet use, so you may want to make sure you are on a desktop or laptop to ensure a successful connection.
Access your desktop
If you have saved something to your desktop instead of the shared drive, or need to use a computer program saved to your computer’s hard drive, you can still access those files through VX Remote, but you will need to know your specific computer’s host name. This can be found in the 4INFO helper on all MD Anderson machines.
- In VX Remote, open the start menu and click on Remote Desktop Connection in the Windows Accessories folder.
- Enter your MD Anderson computer’s Host Name in the box that pops up. The host name should be a character string of letters and numbers.
- Enter your myID username and password to grant access to your desktop.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) access
There are two VPN methods available to MD Anderson employees:
- Limited VPN Access - From any computer, visit http://mdavpn.mdanderson.org. Through this site, you can gain access to your MD Anderson email account, the MD Anderson Intranet site and various clinical tools. It does not provide MD Anderson network connection to applications such as remote desktop. For security, you must verify your identity with DUO two-factor authentication.
- Full VPN Access - This is only available for use on MD Anderson-managed computers. Use the AnyConnect VPN client to gain full MD Anderson network access including remote desktop and shared drive access. For security, you must verify your identity with DUO two-factor authentication
DUO two-factor authentication
To access VX Remote, Limited VPN or AnyConnect VPN, you must have been approved for remote access through OneAccess and have a device with the DUO two-factor Authentication app installed. MD Anderson has implemented a simple 3-step process to get you started with DUO:
- Obtain approval for Remote Access through OneAccess
- Download the DUO Security Application on your mobile device
- Pair your device with the institution (you must be on campus or connected to the MD Anderson network)
For assistance with installation, call 4INFO (713-794-4636).
This computer system is the property of the State of Texas and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. It may be used only as authorized by MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Individuals accessing or using this computer system have no expectation of privacy with respect to such access or usage except as may otherwise be provided by applicable privacy laws. Pursuant to Texas Administrative Code Section 202.7, usage is subject to security testing and monitoring as appropriate, and misuse is subject to criminal prosecution.
Report any suspected unauthorized activity to the Information Security Department.