Professional Student Nurse Extern Program
MD Anderson's Professional Student Nurse Extern (PSNE) program allows nursing students the opportunity to work in a Magnet Recognized facility with an interdisciplinary health care team.
PSNE program participants can advance their clinical and critical thinking skills at one of the nation’s foremost comprehensive cancer centers. They will obtain the basic knowledge and skills to practice oncology nursing while earning a competitive salary.
Participants will attend new employee and clinical nursing orientation sessions for approximately two weeks. After orientation, participants will work on their specified units of interest under the direct supervision of registered nurse preceptors.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled full-time in an accredited school of professional nursing
- Be able to verify excellent academic standing by submission of grade transcripts
- Have a desire to work with the oncology patient population
- Be able to complete institutional and nursing PSNE orientation approximately two weeks in late December
- Have completed one clinical semester
About the Position
The year-round PSNE is a temporary position. Participants are paid an hourly salary plus shift differential and must be able to work a minimum of 24 hours per month. The position is not eligible for benefits.
The PSNE program is ten weeks in length beginning in May and ending in August. In addition to the clinical experience, participants will participate in seminars taught by nursing experts. Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Introduction to Oncology Nursing
- Pathophysiology of Cancer
- Characteristics of Major Cancers
- Critical Thinking
- Treatment Modalities
- Cancer Prevention and Detection
- Quality of Life and Ethical Issues
About the Position
The summer PSNE is a temporary position. Participants are paid an hourly salary plus shift differential and must be able to work a 40-hour work week. The position is not eligible for benefits.
Participants must meet the year-round program criteria and have completed their junior year.
request an appointment online.