Professional Student Nurse Extern (PSNE) Year-Round Program
The purpose of this program is to interest, challenge and provide professional nursing students the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of oncology patient care at the largest and most technologically advanced cancer-fighting organization in the world.
To qualify for the year-round PSNE program, students must:
- Be currently enrolled full time in an accredited BSN school of professional nursing;
- Have completed at least one nursing clinical rotation;
- Verify excellent academic standing by submission of school transcript;
- Have a desire to work with the oncology patient population;
- Be able to work a minimum of 24 hours every month (students may work a maximum of 64 hours every month); and
- Be able to complete institutional and nursing PSNE orientation (orientation is scheduled for winter break approximately two weeks in late December - dates to be announced).
The program length is two to four semesters. Selected applicants will complete an orientation overseen by Nursing Workforce Planning and Development. Each student will be assigned to work under the direct supervision of registered nurse preceptors in one of our many clinical inpatient specialty areas. Students complete an assigned educational project as a mechanism to assist in building on their oncology knowledge.
MD Anderson areas include: Leukemia, Emergency Center, Intensive Care, Lymphoma, Pediatrics, Neuro/Rehab, Medical Oncology, Medical Telemetry, Melanoma/Sarcoma, Urology & Orthopedics, GI, Surgical Oncology, Telemetry & Thoracic Surgery, Head & Neck, Gynecology, Stem Cell Transplantation.
Academic Credit (Optional)
Schools of nursing may approve this program as a nursing elective for college credit. Students must have this approval from their schools before the start of the program.
Schools of nursing may have additional requirements for academic credit. It is the responsibility of the student to complete the necessary paperwork to obtain academic credit.
This is a temporary position. Students are paid an hourly salary and must work a minimum of 24 hours every month (students may work a maximum of 64 hours every month). This position is not eligible for benefits.
How to Apply
Applications will post Monday, September 22 through Monday, October 6, 2014 at 5pm.
1. Complete the online application (keyword: psne)
2. Download application packet information below:
- Eligibility and Material Requirements Letter (pdf)
- Applicant Education and Clinical Experience and Skills Checklist (pdf)
3. Email the requirements listed in the "Eligibility and Material Requirements Letter" to firstname.lastname@example.org once application is posted.
Please note that mailed or hand-delivered packets will not be accepted.
Nursing Workforce Planning and Development