Professional Student Nurse Extern (PSNE) Year-Round Program
The purpose of this program is to interest, challenge and provide professional nursing students the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of oncology patient care at the largest and most technologically advanced cancer-fighting organization in the world. The program seeks to promote nursing careers at MD Anderson Cancer Center in the student nurse population, thereby positively impacting the recruitment of graduate nurses.
To qualify for the year-round PSNE program, students must:
- be currently enrolled full time in an accredited BSN school of professional nursing;
- have completed at least one nursing clinical rotation;
- verify excellent academic standing by submission of school transcript;
- have a desire to work with the oncology patient population;
- be able to work a minimum of 24 hours every month (students may work a maximum of 64 hours every month); and
- be able to complete institutional and nursing PSNE orientation (orientation is scheduled for winter break approximately two weeks in late December - dates to be announced).
The program length is two to four semesters. Selected applicants will complete an orientation overseen by Nursing Workforce Planning and Development. Each student will be assigned to work under the direct supervision of registered nurse preceptors in one of our many clinical inpatient specialty areas. Students complete an assigned educational project each semester as a mechanism to assist in building on their oncology knowledge.
MD Anderson areas include: Leukemia, Emergency Center, Intensive Care, Lymphoma, Pediatrics, Neuro/Rehab, Medical Oncology, Medical Telemetry, Melanoma/Sarcoma, Urology & Orthopedics, GI, Surgical Oncology, Telemetry & Thoracic Surgery, Head & Neck, Gynecology, Stem Cell Transplantation.
Academic Credit (Optional)
Nursing schools may approve this program as a nursing elective to earn college credit. Students must have this approval from their school before the start of the program.
This is a temporary position. Students are paid an hourly salary and must work a minimum of 24 hours every month (students may work a maximum of 64 hours every month). This position is not eligible for benefits.
Applications currently not being accepted. Download application packet information below. The completed application, official transcript with grades, verification of school enrollment and letter of recommendation must be emailed to address provided in Fall 2013. Online application and paperwork application due by deadline to be announced.
- Online Application (keyword: psne) Currently not accepting applications please check back in Fall 2013.
- Download Eligibility and Material Requirements Letter (pdf)
- Applicant Education and Clinical Experience and Skills Checklist (pdf)
Complete paperwork application can be scanned and emailed to (NOT AVAILABLE at this time.)
For more information regarding program, please contact:
Nursing Workforce Planning and Development
Student Programs, Unit 82-47
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, Texas 77030
firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-792-7924