June at a Glance
Focused on Health - June 2011
Barbeques and pool time call. Luckily, you don’t have to miss out on summer fun to get tips and recipes for a healthier season. Below, we highlight this month’s hottest tips — in a flash.
Healthier Ways to Grill Meat
- Grilling? Pre-cook meat, poultry or fish in the microwave or oven for two to five minutes before grilling. Less grill time means less exposure to cancer-causing chemicals.
- Skip processed meats like bacon, hot dogs and sausage. Eating these meats can up your colorectal cancer risk.
- Grilling fruit or veggies? Don't peel them! (Not even corn on the cob!) The peels provide disease-fighting nutrients and a smokier flavor.
Summer Fun: Active Family, Healthy Kids
- Have kids age 6 to 17? Make sure they're exercising enough to get their heart rate up for at least 60 minutes a day, five days a week.
- Get your kids moving by planting and maintaining their own vegetable garden. Gardening keeps them active long after planting the first seeds, and your family will enjoy the fruits of their labor!
- Taking a road trip? Keep a Frisbee or ball in the car, then whip them out during bathroom breaks to get your family moving.
5 Health Advances to Prevent Cancer
- Have a history of smoking? Now you may be able to get some answers about your lung cancer risks with the help of a CT scan.
- Taking estrogen-alone hormone therapy for a short period? This doesn’t increase your risk of breast cancer. But progestin-alone hormone therapy does.
- The entire country could have laws banning smoking in all indoor areas by 2020. That’s good news for the 88 million nonsmoking Americans who are exposed to secondhand smoke every year.
Strawberry Parfait Recipe for a Healthy Glow
- Looking for a sweet, healthy summer dessert filled with cancer-fighting nutrients? Whip up some rhubarb-strawberry parfaits.
Current Issue - March 2014
Latest in Cancer Prevention
Learn the signs of cancer.
Subscribe to Focused on Health
Content - June 2011
Multimedia - June 2011
Celebrate Survivors and Caregivers!
June 5 is National Cancer Survivors Day, but MD Anderson is celebrating survivors and caregivers all month long. Find online resources to help at this stage of your cancer journey. Get support.
Cancer Risk Check
Could you be more likely to get cancer?
Find out by taking MD Anderson’s Cancer Risk Check.