MD Anderson’s Thoracic Center is dedicated to providing personalized care for every type and stage of lung cancer and other cancers in the chest. Our goal is to give patients exceptional outcomes while focusing on quality of life and optimum lung function. We specialize in treating:
And at MD Anderson you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the nation’s largest and most experienced comprehensive cancer centers, which has all the support and wellness services needed to treat the whole person – not just the disease.
If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer or another thoracic cancer, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-MDA-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson's Thoracic Center?
- Latest treatments, including less-invasive surgery, sterotactic radiotherapy, intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and proton therapy
- Dedication to optimum lung function and quality of life
- Accurate diagnosis with most-advanced technology
- Team approach to customized care
- Clinical trials, including new chemotherapy agents, targeted therapies, antibodies and gene therapy
Our Diagnostic Approach
Early and precise diagnosis and staging of lung cancer and other thoracic cancers is important for successful treatment. MD Anderson’s Thoracic Center offers you the most advanced diagnostic methods and tools including:
- PET (positron emission tomography) scans
- High-resolution CT (computed tomography) scans
- Endobronchial and esophageal ultrasound
- Advanced bronchoscopic imaging
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)
Lung cancer and other thoracic cancers often are complex and challenging cancers that may require multiple types of treatment. Our teams of surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists specialize in thoracic cancers. They focus a remarkable amount of talent and expertise on you, providing personal, customized care.
We offer the most-advanced treatment options for thoracic cancers including:
- Less-invasive surgical techniques
- Proton therapy with the only pencil scanning beam capability in the United States
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Four-dimensional radiation therapy
- Image-guided radiation therapy
- Stereotactic radiation therapy
- Techniques to help save lung function
- Targeted therapies
Our Clinical Trials
We are proud to be one of the few cancer centers in the nation with a prestigious federally funded lung cancer SPORE (Specialized Program of Research Excellence) program. We’re studying new ways to prevent and treat lung cancers, and we offer clinical trials (research studies) for almost every type and stage of lung cancer and other types of thoracic cancer.
The Thoracic Center collaborates with Massachusetts General Hospital in the only National Cancer Institute-funded clinical trial to establish standards and guidelines for using proton therapy to treat lung cancer.
To find out more about clinical trials at MD Anderson for thoracic cancers, visit our Clinical Trials database or speak to your doctor.