Primate Behavioral Management Conference
February 27 - March 2, 2018
The Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center invites you to join us for the Primate Behavioral Management Conference (PBMC) in Bastrop, Texas, from February 27 - March 2, 2018. This conference is designed for those responsible for, or interested in, the behavioral management of nonhuman primates in captivity. The PBMC will feature presentations by content experts and implementation experts, and will also include commercial presentations by vendors whose products are particularly relevant to the behavioral management of non-human primates.
This program is approved by the AAVSB RACE to offer a total of 14.00 Veterinarian CE Credits and/or 14.00 Veterinary Technician CE Credits.
Presentations by content experts will be comprised of three sections: 1) the theory and/or science of the content, 2) the methods used to address the content, and perhaps most importantly, 3) ways in which the content can be applied to the behavioral management of captive primates. A partial list of topics and presenters includes:
- Biobehavioral Assessment - John Capitanio, Ph.D.
- Stress - Melinda Novak, Ph.D.
- Network Analyses - Brenda McCowan, Ph.D.
- Depression Physiology - Carol Shively, Ph.D.
- Antipredator Behavior - Nancy Caine, Ph.D.
- Temperament Testing - Kris Coleman, Ph.D.
- Laterality - Bill Hopkins, Ph.D.
- Epigenetics and Behavioral Genetics - Jeffrey Rogers, Ph.D.
Presentations by implementation experts will be focused 'case reports' that will describe the application of the topic to primate behavioral management.
- Social Learning, Decision Making, and Emotions - Lydia Hopper, Ph.D.
- Positive Reinforcement Training and Research - Melanie Graham, Ph.D.
- Positive Reinforcement Training and Health Care - Liz Magden, DVM, DACLAM
- Program Management - Susan Lambeth, LATG
- Collaborative Research - Steve Schapiro, Ph.D.
- Pairing - Keely McGrew, CVT, LATG
- The Veterinarian-Behaviorist Interface - Eric Hutchinson, DVM, DACLAM
- Sedations/Anesthesia and Behavioral Management - Lauren Drew Martin, DVM, DACLAM
Vendor presentations will be short 'commercials' for how products, equipment, techniques, and/or animals can be utilized to facilitate behavioral management and research procedures.
- Research equipment
- Jackets - Lomir Biomedical
- Access Ports - Access Technologies
- Research animals - Bioculture
- Enrichment supplies - Bio-Serv
- Nutrition - LabDiet
- Caging - C2SI
- Staffing - Priority One Services
- Telemetry - TSE-Systems