Primate Behavioral Management Conference
February 27 - March 1, 2024
The Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center invites you to join us for the Primate Behavioral Management Conference (PBMC) in Bastrop, Texas, from February 27 through March 1, 2024. This conference is designed for those responsible for, or interested in, the behavioral management of nonhuman primates in captivity. The PBMC will feature presentations by content experts and implementation experts and will also include commercial presentations by vendors whose products are particularly relevant to the behavioral management of non-human primates.
Applications are due Nov. 1, 2023. Selected applicants will be required to pay the $925 registration fee.
This program is approved by the AAVSB RACE to offer a total of 14.00 Veterinarian CE Credits and/or 14.00 Veterinary Technician CE Credits.
Presentations by content experts will be comprised of 3 sections: 1) the theory and/or science of content, 2) the methods used to address the content, 3) ways in which the content can be applied to the behavioral management of captive primates. A partial list of topics and presenters includes:
- Stress (Melinda Novak, Ph.D.)
- Network Analysis (Brianne Beisner, Ph.D.)
- Depression (Carol Shively, Ph.D.)
- Aging (Brett Frye, Ph.D.)
- Antipredator Behavior (Nancy Caine, Ph.D.)
- Temperament Testing (Kris Coleman, Ph.D.)
- Neuroscience (Bill Hopkins, Ph.D., or Michele Mulholland, Ph.D.)
- Genetics (Jeff Rogers, Ph.D.)
- Positive Reinforcement Training and Research (Melanie Graham, Ph.D.)
- Positive Reinforecement Training and Health (Liz Magden, D.V.M., DACLAM)
- Social Learning, Decision Making, and Emotions (Lydia Hopper, Ph.D.)
Presentations by implementation experts will be focused 'case reports' that will describe the application of the topic to primate behavioral management.
- Observation Methods (Jo Setchell, Ph.D.)
- Program Management (Susan Pavonetti, LATG)
- Collaborative Research (Steve Schapiro, Ph.D.)
- Pairing/Socialization (Melissa Truelove, MSc)
- The Veterinarian-Behaviorist Interface (Eric Hutchinson, D.V.M., DACLAM)
- Sedation/Anesthesia (Drew Martin, D.V.M., DACLAM)
Vendor presentations will be short 'commercials' for how products, equipment, techniques, and/or animals can be utilized to facilitate behavioral management and research procedures.
Commercials and Exhibitors are likely to include
- Research equipment
- Jackets (Lomir Biomedical)
- Automated Feeders (Research Diets - BioDaq)
- Research animals (Bioculture)
- Enrichment supplies (Bio-Serv)
- Nutrition (LabDiet)
- Caging (C2SI)
- Staffing (Priority One Services)
- Sanitation supplies (Lighthouse Life Sciences)