The Tobacco Cessation Clinic Enhancement Program (TCCEP) is a comprehensive program designed to help Texas clinics improve their tobacco treatment services for their patients through a systems-level change approach. The program:
- ensures clinics have a tobacco-free policy
- provides prevention education
- helps clinics provide evidence-based tobacco treatment services to the communities they serve
When a clinic strengthens all three components, TCCEP helps create a culture of health and a tobacco-free environment where:
- Healthcare providers understand that using tobacco products is an addiction because of nicotine and there are evidence-based best practices to help patients quit.
- Patients receive the best cessation support and services.
- Educational materials are readily available to increase awareness on the harms of using tobacco products.
- Patients and visitors are protected from secondhand smoke because the workplace is 100% tobacco-free.
This toolkit includes several documents designed to guide clinic champions, clinic staff and clinicians, and to educate patients throughout the process of implementing system-change activities. All resources support a strategy that provides the gold standard of pharmacotherapy and counseling for patients who want to quit using tobacco.
For an overview of the program and its aims, key objectives and benefits, download the one-pager.