The scope of active projects in the Tweardy Laboratory is broad and includes:
- The importance of interactions of STAT3 and other oncoproteins with the major eukaryotic protein-folding machine - TRiC - for their biogenesis and optimal folding.
- Use of proteostasis modulators to improve the function of mutated transcription factors, including STAT3, that cause immunodeficiencies.
- The contribution of STAT3 to infection- and inflammation-induced carcinogenesis.
- Structure-based and high-throughput approaches to developing small-molecule inhibitors of STAT3.
- The contribution of STAT3 to asthma and other allergic disorders.