The Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Scholarship Program at MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital is designed to provide funding to cancer patients and cancer survivors who want to continue their education through an accredited trade school, undergraduate school, or graduate school. The deadline for this application is May 13, 2019 (if mailed must be postmarked by May 6, 2019).
Please take your time to fill out the form completely and accurately. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Some browsers will allow you to start an application and return to finish it later; however, that is not always the case and your application progress could be lost forcing you to create an entirely new application.
It's best to complete the application within one sitting, which may take some applicants up to 30 minutes. Click here to access the application form.
- Be a high school senior (graduating spring 2019), high school graduate, or GED graduate
- Be a current or past patient with a cancer diagnosis, and treated at MD Anderson for at least 3 months
- Be between the ages of 16-29
- Be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an accredited trade, undergraduate, or graduate school
- Submit a copy of the acceptance letter from the college or university of choice (including trade or vocational school)
- Submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, healthcare professional etc. They must indicate how long have they have known the applicant and in what capacity.
- Submit an essay relating a specific example of how your cancer experience and/or being treated at MD Anderson has influenced your academic career, career path, or personal relationships
- Submit a sealed, official transcript (must be requested from and mailed by the registrar's office)
- Complete and sign the scholarship application by stated scholarship deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Complete and submit release form. Photos and success stories may appear on the MD Anderson Children’s Cancer website or social media pages.
- Not have previously received an AYA Scholarship at MD Anderson (previously called the Pediatric College Scholarship)
- Maintain 9 hours per semester and a 2.0 grade point average if awarded scholarship
Selection Process and Awards
Applicants will be evaluated based on application, grade point average, quality of essays and/or recommendations, and volunteer or extracurricular activities. Applications are reviewed and evaluated by the MD Anderson AYA Scholarship Committee. Scholarships are awarded on an objective basis. Recipients will be contacted the first week of June 2019. If you have any questions, contact Wendy Griffith at WEGriffith@mdanderson.org.
Application packet if mailed must be postmarked no later than May 6, 2019. Do not staple your documents. Please mail your application to:
AYA Scholarship Committee
Children’s Cancer Hospital
MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd. –Unit 0087
Houston, TX 77030-4009