The Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Scholarship Program at MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital is designed to provide funding to cancer patients and cancer survivors who want to continue their education through an accredited undergraduate school, trade school or graduate school. The deadline for this application is May 13, 2019 (mailed applications must be postmarked by May 6, 2019). Please take your time to fill out the application form completely and accurately. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Click here to access the application form.
To be eligible, a scholarship applicant must:
- Be a high school senior (graduating spring 2019), high school graduate or have earned a GED.
- Be a current or past patient with a cancer diagnosis; treated at MD Anderson for at least three months.
- Be between the ages of 16-29.
- Be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an accredited undergraduate, trade school, or graduate school.
- Submit a copy of the acceptance letter from the college or university of choice including trade or vocational school.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, healthcare professional etc. Letters must indicate how long have they have known the applicant and in what capacity.
- Submit an essay relating a specific example of how your cancer experience and/or being treated at MD Anderson has influenced your academic career, career path, or personal relationships
- Complete and sign the scholarship application by stated scholarship deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Complete and submit a release form. Photos and success stories may appear on the MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Website.
- Not have previously received a Pediatric College Scholarship from MD Anderson.
- Maintain 9 hours per semester and a 2.0 grade point average if awarded scholarship.
Selection Process and Awards
Applicants will be evaluated based on application, grade point average, quality of essays and/or recommendations, and volunteer or extracurricular activities. Applications are reviewed and evaluated by MD Anderson's AYA Scholarship Committee. Scholarships are awarded on an objective basis.
Recipients will be contacted the first week of June, 2019. If you have any questions, please contact Wendy Griffith at WEGriffith@mdanderson.org.
If mailed, the application packet must be postmarked no later than May 6, 2019. Do not staple your documents. Mailed applications and materials should be sent to:
AYA Scholarship Committee
Children’s Cancer Hospital
MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Blvd. – Unit 0087
Houston, TX 77030-4009