Clinical Pastoral Education
MD Anderson’s Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program prepares students for congregational work and chaplaincy through three programs accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education:
- Level I CPE addresses basic competencies and issues of pastoral reflection, formation, identity and functioning in one or more units of CPE
- Level II CPE addresses advanced competencies and issues of pastoral function, reflection and integration
- Supervisory CPE addresses the supervision and education in the theory and practice of supervision of Clinical Pastoral Education
An intensive unit focusing on development of personal and pastoral identity and professional growth. Begins the first workday in June and ends the third Friday in August. Bachelor’s degree from accredited college/university or equivalency in studies and experience required.
A part-time program for theological students, clergy and lay professionals. Begins the first working day in September and ends the last week of March. Dates vary and program may not be offered every year. Bachelor’s degree from accredited college/university or equivalency in studies and experience required. Students do not receive stipends or benefits.
Fellows develop pastoral skills and identity and complete CPE certification requirements. Begins the first workday in September and continues through August 31. Bachelor's degree required. M.Div. degree and one unit of CPE preferred. Subject to interview by the MD Anderson Admissions Committee. Fellows are paid a stipend based on level of training, and receive three weeks vacation, sick leave and insurance.
A yearlong program to prepare supervisory students for certification with the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education. Appointment may be renewed annually until certification. Requirements include:
- M.Div. degree or equivalent
- Previous ministry experience, including at least 4 units of CPE (congregational experience preferred)
- Meet CPE Level II outcomes
- Membership in ACPE
- Consultation (specified in ACPE Certification Manual)
- Completed CPE Application (pdf)
- $35.00 Non refundable application Fee
- Written recommendation from a faith group
- $450 fee per unit, payable the first week of the unit
- This ACPE CPE center/program guarantees to its students the rights to inspect and review education records, to seek to amend them, to specified control over release of record information, and to file a complaint against the program for alleged violations of these Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights.
- A student has the right to object to record content. If not negotiable, the written objection will be kept with and released with the record. Grades are exempted from this right.
- Violations of these protocols may be reported to the Chair of the Accreditation Commission at: ACPE, 1549 Clairmont Road, Suite 103, Decatur, GA 30033.