Colorectal Care Center
MD Anderson's Colorectal Center is committed to the diagnosis and treatment of every type and stage of colorectal cancer. Our team approach ensures you receive carefully coordinated care from some of the nation's top experts.
We customize your therapy to provide the best care while focusing on your quality of life. Types of colorectal cancer treated include:
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Anal cancer
- Hereditary colorectal cancer syndromes including: Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), Hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC or Lynch Syndrome), and other less common syndromes
By using the latest surgical methods, we often can avoid colostomies. If a colostomy is needed, specially trained team members work with you to help make the adjustment easier and less stressful.
And at MD Anderson you're surrounded by the strength of one of the nation's top comprehensive cancer centers. We have all the support and wellness services needed to treat the whole person – not just the disease.
If you have been diagnosed with colorectal cancer, we're here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Advanced colorectal cancer treatments including proton therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and targeted therapies
- Precise diagnostic methods including endoscopic ultrasound, fine-needle aspiration (FNA) and virtual colonoscopy
- Minimally invasive procedures may avoid colostomy in some patients
- Sphincter-sparing surgery for rectal and anal cancer
- Genetic testing for people at risk because of inherited syndromes and to determine best treatment
- Clinical trials for all stages and types of colorectal cancer
Our Diagnostic Approach
MD Anderson's Colorectal Center uses advanced and precise technology and techniques to accurately diagnose and stage colorectal cancer of every type. Our doctors helped pioneer virtual colonoscopy, also known as CT (computed tomography) colonoscopy, which may be a good choice for some patients.
To make an appointment for a screening colonoscopy or other screening tests at MD Anderson, call 713-792-4796 or schedule an appointment online.
Our Treatment Approach
Every detail of your treatment is personalized especially for you by MD Anderson doctors. They are among the most experienced in the nation in treating colorectal cancers, including rare and complex cases. Your care team may include oncologists, surgeons, pathologists, radiation oncologists and geneticists. Specially trained nutritionists, psychologists, social workers and nurses support each team.
These experts focus on you and work together to be sure you receive the best possible care for colorectal cancer. They use the most-advanced types of treatment and technology to increase your chances for successful recovery.
Our Clinical Trials
MD Anderson is one of the nation's leading research centers. We offer clinical trials (research studies) of experimental treatments for almost every type and stage of colorectal cancer, including inherited cancer syndromes and rare subtypes.
To find out more about clinical trials at MD Anderson for colorectal cancers, visit our Clinical Trials database or speak to your doctor.