Individuals applying for admissions into any of the MD Anderson residency and fellowship programs must hold either a M.D./D.O. degree or its foreign equivalent, along with a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Dental applicants must have a D.D.S./D.M.D. degree or its foreign equivalent. Additionally, applicants must have passed each step/part/level of a licensure examination (i.e. USMLE or COMPLEXii) within three (3) attempts.
In addition to these institutional requirements, each program has specific eligibility requirements that must be satisfied. Each program has specific criteria for selection of trainees as indicated in the GME approved program description on file with TAA. To access individual program Web sites, please visit the Residencies and Fellowships Web page.
Application is made directly to the specialty program. Approval of recommendations submitted by the clinical training program coordinator is at the discretion of the senior vice president for academic affairs. Questions concerning the requirements for and status of applications should be directed to the clinical training program coordinator of the program(s) to which application is made.
The institution requires the following documentation to process a recommendation for appointment:
- Application form - Submit an original application using the DISCOVER system. Supply all information requested
- CV (curriculum vitae) - A written description of an individual's educational background, work experience and related professional accomplishments
- Three letters of recommendation - Letters must be dated no more than one year prior to the signature date on the application, and must be on letterhead with original signatures. Letters must reflect appointment at the appropriate academic level and must be from persons qualified to comment on your qualifications in a laboratory or research environment, as well as in a patient care setting
- Licensure Exam Transcripts - Applicants must pass each step/part/level of an exam within three attempts.
- M.D.s (USMLE, NBME, FLEX, SPEX exams): Submit the Federation of State Medical Boards' Examination and Board Action History Report (EBAHR). Please download the request through the following website: http://www.fsmb.org/transcripts.html
- D.O.s (NBOME, COMLEX exams): Submit the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME). Please download the request through the following website: http://www.nbome.org/transcript-request.asp?m=can
- Canadian Medical Graduates who do not have a USMLE transcript may submit the Licentiate of the Medical Council (LMCC) transcript. A certified statement of registration with the LMCC is required. Please download the request form via the following website: http://www.mcc.ca/en/mcc_docs/index.shtml
- Medical/Dental school transcripts - Submit official transcripts from all medical/dental schools attended. Transcripts from the school of graduation with transfer credits may not be used in lieu of an official transcript from the original medical/dental school. An official medical/dental school transcript is one that comes directly from the medical/dental school to MD Anderson Cancer Center, or from the candidate directly only if received in a sealed envelope with a medical/dental school stamp or official's signature across the seal. We do not accept copies of transcripts, notarized or otherwise
- Credential Evaluations - Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must submit a credential evaluation conducted by an accredited foreign education evaluation agency verifying degree equivalency in the U.S. A list of evaluation companies can be found here. (Please note: The FCVS packet does not fulfill this requirement)
- Certificates - Include certificates of completion (copies are acceptable) from all graduate medical education (GME) programs (residencies and/or fellowships) that have been completed. If you are currently in a GME program but have not yet completed it, submit a Letter of Good Standing from your program director. Letters of Good Standing must be dated no more than six months prior to the anticipated start date
- Translations - Documents in a language other than English (including Latin) must be accompanied by a certified translation
- ECFMG certificate - Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must provide a copy of an ECFMG certificate, valid at the program start date