Abstract Submission Instructions
Abstracts must be submitted online and received by Tuesday, March 3, 2015. Abstracts may not exceed 350 words (excluding title and list of authors).
Abstracts may include graphs, tables, or pictures, but must conform to the one-page limit and all other formatting guidelines as listed below. All abstract submitters should be prepared to present their work as a poster; selected abstracts may also be presented orally as previously described. Final notification regarding acceptance for poster presentations and selection for oral presentations will be sent to the presenter only (i.e., co-authors will not be notified).
To assist in the review of submitted abstracts, the type of research represented will be self-selected on the submission form as follows: 1) basic/translational, or 2) clinical.
How to Prepare Your Abstract File
The following format, organization and size/type of file are required:
Font, Margins, Layout
- Times New Roman 12-point font
- 1-inch margins (top, bottom, left, right)
- Left-justify all text
- Single-space all text except where blank lines are indicated below
- When printed, entire abstract must fit on one 8.5 x 11-inch page.
- Save your abstract as a Microsoft Word (.doc) file.
Abstracts must adequately describe the objectives and results so that the quality, originality, and completeness of the work can be evaluated.
Each abstract is limited to 350 words (title and authors are not counted in word limit) and must contain the following:
- Title: To be followed by a single blank line.
- Authors: To be followed by a single blank line.
- All abstracts with first or last author as a junior faculty member (instructors, assistant professors and associate professors) automatically qualify for the Cyrus Scholar Awards competition. Abstract submitters need not be instructors, assistant professors or associate professors.
- Include each author’s full name, highest degree and institutional affiliation. To be followed by a single blank line. (Bold the name of the presenter.)
Daniel Smith, Ph.D., MD Anderson Cancer Center; next author's full name, highest degree, affiliation; Presenter’s full name, highest degree, affiliation, etc.
- Objective: The primary purpose of the study.
- Materials & Methods: Description of data sources, subjects, design, measurements, and data analysis.
- Results: Summary of data and results.
- Conclusion: Statement of the study's conclusions and/or implications of the results. A statement, such as "Results will be discussed" or similar wording is not acceptable.
Note: All abbreviations or acronyms should be spelled out the first time they are used.
Please fill out Abstract Submission Form, save it in Word. Attach both, Abstract and Submission Form and email to the appropriate email address (Basic OR Clinical) firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (NOTE: you must be on the MD Anderson intranet to submit to this email address)
- Submission must be done using MD Anderson email account.
- Subject line to include: Primary Author last name, plus first 10 words of abstract title.
- Email must have two attachments in Word files:
- Abstract Submission Form
- Do not send multiple abstracts in a single email.
- Do not communicate via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Note: The program committee reserves the right to reject any abstracts that do not meet the above requirements, and to edit abstracts for non-scientific errors (e.g., typographical errors, spelling, etc.).
If you have questions, contact: Division of Internal Medicine office at 713-792-6517.