70 Years of Making Cancer History
Over the past 70 years, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has become the world's premier center devoted exclusively to the prevention, treatment and eradication of cancer through research.
The Texas Legislature created
MD Anderson in 1941 as part of The University of Texas System. The
MD Anderson Foundation matched state funds to build a cancer hospital and bought the 7-acre estate of Capt. James A. Baker, grandfather of James A. Baker III, as temporary quarters for the fledgling cancer hospital and research institute. Later, it provided a permanent building site in the Texas Medical Center.
Today MD Anderson occupies more than 14 million square feet and provides the latest technology and facilities to support outpatient and inpatient care, research, prevention and education.
With employees working in more than 50 buildings in the Houston area and in central Texas, MD Anderson is the largest freestanding cancer center in the world.
During seven decades, MD Anderson has served more than 900,000 patients. It leads the nation in the number of research grants awarded from the National Cancer Institute and conducts more clinical trials than any other institution.