The MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for heart failure (MDASI-HF) is a site-specific MDASI module. Along with the core MDASI’s 13 symptom items and 6 interference items, the MDASI-HF also assesses 8 symptoms specific to cancer patients with heart failure:
- abdominal bloating
- ankle swelling
- difficulty sleeping without adding more pillows under the head
- lack of energy
- nighttime cough
- waking up at night with difficulty breathing
- sudden weight gain
Order the MDASI Heart Failure Module
Use our convenient online form to order the MDASI-HF for use in your clinical research, clinical practice, funded and non-funded academic research, commercial research, or reproduction in educational materials or other publications.
Every MDASI Module Contains...
All 13 MDASI core symptoms
pain, fatigue, nausea, disturbed sleep, distress, shortness of breath, difficulty remembering, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, sadness, vomiting, numbness/tingling
All 6 MDASI interference items
general activity, mood, work, relations with others, walking, enjoyment of life
- Purpose: To assess the severity of multiple symptoms related to cancer and concurrent heart failure and their treatment, and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with both cancer and heart failure
- Assessment areas: Severity of multiple symptoms and the impact of symptoms on daily functioning during the last 24 hours
- Method: Self-report; paper-and-pencil form or tablet PC (self-administered or via interview), or telephone-based interactive voice response (IVR) system
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: Please see the MDASI User's Guide
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.83 to 0.92
MDASI-HF Language Versions
Selected MDASI-HF References
Fadol A, Mendoza T, Gning I, et al. Psychometric testing of the MDASI-HF: a symptom assessment instrument for patients with cancer and concurrent heart failure. J Card Fail 14(6): 497-507, 2008.
Cleeland CS, Mendoza TR, Wang XS, et al. Assessing Symptom Distress in Cancer: The M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory. Cancer 2000; 89:1634-1646.