The MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for gastrointestinal cancer (MDASI-GI) is a site-specific MDASI module. Along with the core MDASI’s 13 symptom items and 6 interference items, the MDASI-GI also assesses 5 symptoms specific to gastrointestinal cancer:
- diarrhea or watery stools
- difficulty swallowing
- change in taste
- feeling bloated
Order the MDASI Gastrointestinal Module
Use our convenient online form to order the MDASI-GI for use in your clinical research, clinical practice, funded and non-funded academic research, commercial research, or reproduction in educational materials or other publications.
Every MDASI Module Contains...
All 13 MDASI core symptoms
pain, fatigue, nausea, disturbed sleep, distress, shortness of breath, difficulty remembering, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, sadness, vomiting, numbness/tingling
All 6 MDASI interference items
general activity, mood, work, relations with others, walking, enjoyment of life
- Purpose: To assess the severity of multiple gastrointestinal cancer-related symptoms and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with symptoms caused by gastrointestinal cancer and its treatment
- Assessment areas: Severity of multiple symptoms and the impact of symptoms on daily functioning during the last 24 hours
- Method: Self-report; paper-and-pencil form or tablet PC (self-administered or via interview), or telephone-based interactive voice response (IVR) system
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: Please see the MDASI User's Guide
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.80 to 0.87
Wang XS, Williams LA, Eng C, et al. Validation and application of a module of the M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory for measuring multiple symptoms in patients with gastrointestinal cancer (the MDASI-GI). Cancer 116(8): 2053-2063, 2010.
Cleeland CS, Mendoza TR, Wang XS, et al. Assessing Symptom Distress in Cancer: The M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory. Cancer 2000; 89:1634-1646.
Janjan NA, Wang XS, Mendoza TR, et al. Utility of the M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory (MDASI) for symptom evaluation during chemoradiation in patients with gastrointestinal malignancies [abstract]. American Society of Clinical Oncology 43rd Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, Jun 1-5, 2007. J Clin Oncol 25(18 Suppl), 2007; 6613.