Thank you for your interest in research postdoctoral fellowships at MD Anderson, one of the oldest NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers. MD Anderson is located in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest medical center, and is home to world-class researchers and a well-funded, collaborative research environment. In addition, the City of Houston boasts a vibrant economy, low cost of living and a diverse population.
The Office For Postdoctoral Fellows is dedicated to providing first-class career and professional development training to enhance your postdoctoral experience. We have a very active Postdoc Association and, as a member of the National Postdoc Association, our postdoctoral fellows have access to affiliate membership. We invite you to explore the various opportunities available to you.
Please view Practical Information for Prospective Postdocs to learn more about relocating to Houston, the history of MD Anderson,
navigating the Texas Medical Center (TMC) location of MD Anderson as well as helpful information regarding our Smithville and Bastrop locations.
MD Anderson faculty will post their open postdoc positions on MD Anderson’s career site. This site includes a link to application instructions. MD Anderson faculty also may post the same positions at PostdocJobs.com.
If you would like information about an MD Anderson laboratory or mentor, you might consider exploring the departments that are of interest. If you would like to know more about a faculty member’s research interests, MD Anderson Experts is an online tool that compiles faculty members’ government grants, peer-reviewed publications to generate searchable, public profiles.
All inquiries regarding postdoctoral fellow appointments, program information, and appointment eligibility requirements should be sent directly to the appropriate faculty member(s) or the respective department/program administrator. Here are some tips for Finding the "Perfect Postdoc" for You.
Research Trainee Programs serves as an institutional resource for the processing of educational appointments for postdoctoral fellows, graduate medical education, clinical non-physician, research and observer trainees. They provide guidance and support to the more than 200 departments and programs at MD Anderson that appoint trainees.
All postdoctoral fellows who are benefits-eligible (i.e., appointment is > 4 ½ months; work at least 50% time; receive their compensation from MD Anderson) receive competitive benefits during their training. The standard benefits package includes the following:
- Medical insurance
- 120 hours vacation and 80 hours sick leave annually (full-time fellows)
- Up to 480 hours FMLA leave after fulfilling criteria
- Fitness Center membership (full-time postdoctoral fellows)
- Parental leave
- Access to group plans for dental, vision, short- and long- term disability
- Health care and daycare spending accounts
- Enrollment in the Teacher’s Retirement System
- Access to the Employee Assistance Program, Employee Health and Well-Being, the Ombuds office, etc.
Annual sick leave carries forward annually and automatically, but the maximum amount that a full-time trainee may have at any one time is 160 hours.
The appointment policy limits an individual to no more than five years in the postdoctoral title at MD Anderson, or a total of six years in postdoctoral appointments at any combination of institutions.
Initial postdoctoral research fellow appointments are for a period of only one year. They may be renewed annually at the discretion of the faculty member and contingent upon advancement criteria being met. The appointment term clock continues regardless of any mentor changes within the institution.
After the term limit has been reached, the postdoctoral fellow must either request special consideration for an extension, be appointed to an MD Anderson faculty or classified position, or s/he must leave the institution.
- The minimum duration of a postdoctoral appointment is 6 months, maximum is 12 months.
- Appointments are renewable. The appointment policy limits and individual to no more than five years in the postdoctoral title at MD Anderson, or a total of six years in postdoctoral appointments at any combination of institutions.
- The minimum required stipend is equal to the current NIH PGY 0 for years of experience.
- Confirmation of a current postdoctoral appointment is required from the home institution for Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow appointments.
- MD Anderson Cancer Center has a “Postdoctoral Fellow Stipend Policy” which defines the minimum stipend level for a postdoctoral fellow appointment as the National Institutes of Health Kirschstein-National Research Service Award (NRSA) stipend for zero years of experience. Annual incremental increases for years of postdoctoral appointment that parallel the Kirschstein-NRSA stipends are recommended, but not required.
- We strongly encourage you to attend the next available Fast Track Orientation.
We are excited that you chose to move to Houston, Texas. In addition to our institutional VISA office, there are several resources available to enhance your professional career trajectory as well as your life in this vibrant city.
You can find details about living in Houston in the MD Anderson City Guide.
The TMC Innovation Institute provides a unique profiling of the top medical institutes in the area, giving Houston a great scientific edge.
If you are new to the city, there are several organizations not affiliated or endorsed by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center that may provide the opportunity to meet other young professionals and expand your network:
- The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) organizes a monthly networking event
- InterNations offers global networking opportunities, local events and expat-relevant information about the city for people who live and work abroad. The InterNations website provides many guides about moving to and living and working in the city, a forum to connect with other expats and many events organized for members.
- Travelex website that provides a currency conversion tool