Desmoplastic small round cell tumors usually have no early symptoms. In most cases, the first sign is a hard, round mass in the abdomen, which can grow very large before it is found. The child may feel pain in the abdomen. Because DSRCT is rare, it is often misdiagnosed by pediatricians and family doctors.
Other signals of the disease include:
- Swelling (distention) of abdomen
- Back pain
- Gastrointestinal blockage
- Lack of appetite and weight loss
- Fluid in the abdomen (ascites)
- Thyroid or hormone problems
DSRCT is rare. If your child has any of these symptoms, they are most likely caused by something less serious. However, it’s a good idea to talk to your child’s doctor, as they may signal other health problems.