Because other diseases can cause similar symptoms, mesothelioma often is not diagnosed until it has spread. Symptoms vary from person to person and may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest or abdominal pain
- Collapse of lung
- Cough that does not go away
- Losing a lot of weight without trying
- Blood in sputum (phlegm) coughed up from the lungs
- Difficulty swallowing
- Prolonged hoarseness
- Low oxygen levels
If you have one or more of these symptoms, it does not mean you have mesothelioma. However, it is important to discuss any symptoms with your doctor. They may indicate other health problems.
If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Leading-edge mesothelioma treatments, including targeted therapies
- Latest, least-invasive mesothelioma surgery techniques
- Advanced radiotherapy methods, including intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT)
- One of nation’s largest mesothelioma programs
- Clinical trials of new therapies, many not available elsewhere