Hodgkin's Lymphoma Prevention and Screening
Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Screening
Cancer screening exams are important medical tests done when you’re at risk but don’t have symptoms. They help find cancer at its earliest stage, when the chances for successful treatment are best. Unfortunately, no standardized screening tests have been shown to detect Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Risk Factors
Anything that increases your chance of getting Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a risk factor. Although Hodgkin’s lymphoma usually develops in people who have no risk factors, the following things may mean you are more likely to develop it:
- Age: Hodgkin’s lymphoma is most common in young adults (15 to 40 years) and older adults (over 55 years old).
- Gender: Males are slightly more likely to develop Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Viruses: The risk is small, but some viruses may make you more likely to get Hodgkin’s lymphoma. These include:
- Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)
- Infectious mononucleosis (mono)
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Human T-cell lymphocytotropic virus (HTLV)
- Family history: If you have a parent, brother or sister with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, you have an increased risk of developing the disease.
Not everyone with risk factors gets Hodgkin’s lymphoma. However, if you have risk factors, you should discuss them with your doctor.
If you have been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-MDA-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Prevention
The exact cause of Hodgkin’s lymphoma is not yet known. There are no known lifestyle changes to lower the risk of developing the cancer.
Research shows that many cancers can be prevented. Visit the Prevention section of our website to find out steps you can take to avoid cancer.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Innovative Hodgkin's lymphoma treatments, including proton therapy, monoclonal antibodies, biological and targeted therapies, stem cell transplants
- Latest, most-advanced Hodgkin’s lymphoma therapies with highest success rate and least damage to healthy tissue
- Accurate, precise diagnosis by specialized pathologists
- One of world’s largest Hodgkin’s lymphoma referral centers
- Clinical trials for newly diagnosed and relapsed Hodgkin’s lymphoma