General Internal Medicine
- To provide excellent patient care in the realm of general internal medicine in cancer patients
- To develop innovative management of medical supportive care for cancer patients especially in the outpatient setting
- To contribute and increase the literature in general internal medicine in cancer patients
- To develop innovative research in the management and treatment of general internal medicine and supportive issues
- To increase health services and outcome research in the cancer patient population
- To educate medical students, housestaff, clinicians and other support staff in general internal medicine in cancer patients
- To participate in institutional service responsibilities
Many patients at MD Anderson Cancer Center visit the General Internal Medicine Clinic with pre-existing medical conditions that can be aggravated by cancer or its treatment.
These health issues must be managed along with the cancer so that our patients can handle aggressive therapies and have a better chance of successful outcomes.
Our physicians can see patients at your request for a wide range of acute non-cancer related medical problems such as:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Heart disease
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Other metabolic disorders
You have enough to worry about without having to go from one health care facility to another. Here at MD Anderson Cancer Center, we provide complete medical care under one roof, which means all of your doctors are on the same team.
General Internal Medicine Patient Services
Cancer-Related Fatigue Clinic
Dealing with Cancer-Related Fatigue (14:23)
As many as six to nine out of every 10 MD Anderson cancer patients experience cancer-related fatigue, but classes, physical therapy and many other resources are available to assist with fatigue management.
- Suspicion of Cancer Clinic
- Ambulatory Treatment Center Supervision
- Anticoagulation Clinic
- Nephrology Consults
- Rheumatology Consults