MD Anderson is one of 22 sites accredited by the Council for Tobacco Treatment Training Programs (CTTTP) to provide a four-day class for individuals interested in seeking Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) Training and Certification (CTTS). The program offers the highest quality of tobacco treatment training based on the most up-to-date evidence-based tobacco cessation research and treatment strategies.
We welcome participants from all health care disciplines and cultures. Our goal is to train interdisciplinary health care providers and public health professionals to become tobacco cessation champions for their organizations and communities.
- October 12-16, 2020 (Virtual)
- November 2-6, 2020 (Virtual – Community Health Network)
- February 8-12, 2021 (Virtual)
- March 22-26, 2021 (Virtual)
- April 19-23, 2021 (Virtual – Arkansas Cancer Coalition)
- June 7-11, 2021 (Virtual)
- July 26-30, 2021 (TBD)
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about the program or would like to be added to the participant waiting list for trainings in the fall and winter of 2020.
This activity is intended for health care providers and behavioral health professionals, who counsel patients toward full cessation of tobacco and nicotine products.
MD Anderson’s Certified Tobacco Training Program is an intensive, four-day course focused on the skills needed to effectively deliver tobacco cessation treatment in both a clinic and community setting. Faculty and presenters are MD Anderson physicians, psychologists, counseling, education staff and other MD Anderson professionals.
A partial list of curriculum topics includes:
- Counseling Skills
- Motivational Interviewing
- Diversity and Disparities
- Treatment Planning
- Tobacco Dependence and co-morbid conditions
- Relapse Prevention
The last half-day of the program will consist of an examination which tests both knowledge and counseling skills. This training program is designed for health care professionals already providing tobacco dependence treatment and for those with a strong interest in entering the field.
The fee for all four days of the virtual training is $1,100.
The following Continuing Education (CE) credits can be earned:
- Up to 26.5 hours of CE credit for M.D., D.O., PA, APN and RN
- Up to 29 hours of CE credit for LPC, LMSW and LMFT
- Up to 27 hours of CE credit for CHES and MCHES
- Up to 26 hours of CE approval for RRT®, CRT®, CPFT®, RPFT®, RPSGT® and AE-C®