MD Anderson's 11-week MBA/MHA Summer Internship is designed to give talented M.B.A. and M.H.A. students exposure to the inner workings of an academic medical center.
This learning opportunity is intended to refine the individual's analytical, technical, decision-making, interpersonal and managerial skills through project work while providing broad exposure to healthcare issues within an academic medical center.
Our overall goal is to strengthen the ties between local graduate school programs and MD Anderson in hopes of increasing the talent pool of individuals who consider MD Anderson first for career opportunities.
Interns will work with a mentor on a high-impact 11-week project that aligns with the institutional strategic initiatives. Interns will be placed in teams according to their backgrounds and interests across the institution. The concentration areas for summer internship include but not limited to Performance Improvement, Quality, Finance, Operations, Information Technology, Marketing and Accounting.
Interns will learn about the interrelations of the medical center components in an environment that supports and encourages learning. The educational objectives include:
- Provide hands-on and real‐world experiences by conducting a 11-week project under the mentorship of a professional with relevant and related background in the field.
- Introduce and develop an understanding of the common values shared by all health care professionals at MD Anderson.
- Introduce to the complex organizational dynamics through a combination of shadowing and integration in the day-to-day activities of a team while also leading their assigned project.
- The internship begins with an institution-wide orientation where students learn about MD Anderson Cancer Center's culture and the benefits and responsibilities that come with working here. Interns also participate in department-specific training.
- During the first week, interns will develop intentional learning objective goals (with their mentors) structured into the experience and supervised by their assigned mentor.
- Interns will be fully integrated into the day-to-day activities of a team while also leading their own individual project.
- Responsibilities and assignments will vary from project to project based on the specific objectives. Interns will be given responsibility and the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to their teams. Specific responsibilities will be discussed at the start of the program.
- Interns will spend time shadowing their mentors to gain perspective on the day-to-day challenges and decisions faced. Interns will also work closely with the assigned team on projects that further the organization's goals.
- Interns will have the opportunity to participate in networking activities and seminars with leaders at the institution and trainees.
Eligibility & Requirements
Interested applicants must be currently enrolled in an MBA or MHA program, at one of the following local universities:
- Our Lady of the Lakes University-Houston
- Prairie View A&M University
- Rice University
- Texas Southern University
- Texas Women's University
- University of Houston - Downtown
The enrollment is during the summer term after the first year of M.B.A./M.H.A. program.
Eligible candidate must be scheduled to return to classes in Fall 2024.
Dates & Work Schedule
- The program will begin on June 10, 2024 and end on August 30, 2024.
- Commitment is full-time; 40 hours per week
- Hybrid position with flexible schedule based on assigned department needs.
Students receive a stipend during the 11-week program. Paychecks are issued on the 5th and the 20th of each month, deducting the required federal taxes.
How to Apply
- The online application will open on February 14, 2024 and close at 11:59 p.m. CST on March 20, 2024.
- The following should be submitted through the SLATE application tool
- Two letters of recommendation. One of the letters should be from the Program Director.
- College transcript(s) issued from the registrar
- Personal statement of interest stating how the internship will help you achieve your long-term career goals and project interest.
- Project Ranking – Review available projects and rank you area of interest. 2024 MHA/MBA Summer Internship Project Selection
- Please note that incomplete applications will be purged after the application deadline has passed.
For more information contact:
MD Anderson Cancer Center
7007 Bertner – Unit 1615
Houston, Tx 77030-4009